What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How many cans of paint?

Paul S

Gang,

Well, I searched for PlastiKote in some of the WalMarts in my area and one Michaels without luck, so I might have to order it online. How many cans did you use presuming you did it like Marty and Larry? I had planned something very similar, with the PK on most of the sides and a gloss on the trim like parts or parts that need a smoother finish. Thanks.

I would think 4 cans would be enough. It really goes a long way, but I like the two tone thing rather than all one color. John Bender's one color pick looks very nice also.

The stuff at Michael's is called "Stone", not "Fleck Stone". It's the same thing just different can names, the colors are the exact same. All Michael's should have it.

Last edited:
As I recall

I think I have 8 cans, and I should have enough to finish the tunnel covers. It goes pretty fast, but does a good job. The little corners and under the ledges takes quite a bit.

John Bender

Thanks Larry

After seeing Larry post, I must mention, it depends upon if you do 2 tone, or not. I used mostly the same color for everything. The baggage area uses a lot.

John Bender

Thanks guys

I had some in my hand at Michaels, but didn't know it was the same. I'll go back and pick some up. Thanks!!

I had some in my hand at Michaels, but didn't know it was the same. I'll go back and pick some up. Thanks!!

Glad to help.

While you are there pick up some tounge depressors or pop cycle sticks. They come in real handy for mixing stuff up like proseal, body filler, ect.

Last edited:
Baggage Area

Just came in from the shop, painted the baggage area today with PK. Probably the worst job so far, should have independent breathing apparatus! My respirator really didn't cut it.

Took nearly 3 cans. YMMV.

IMHO, If you used 3 cans for the baggage area, you are putting it on to heavy. I primed the surfaces with a grey primer and then put on a light coat of PK. Think I used about 1.5 cans. Did not PK where the gas tank is going to go.

Interior Pain

I did the interior in the fleck/stone finish and it went on very quickly with a great appearance. I went to NAPA auto paint store and got one large can of the etching grey primer and that lasted for just about the entire interior. I think I used 2, maybe 3 cans of the Plastikote on the interior. I still don't know what I'm going to finish the instrument panel in. If I use the stone finish, I'm worrying about how to apply the switch labels.
Meade and George

I still don't know what I'm going to finish the instrument panel in. If I use the stone finish, I'm worrying about how to apply the switch labels.
Meade and George

I don't think the Plasti-Kote on the panel is a good idea. Too much of a good thing, and the surface is pretty rough. I went with flat black powder coat with a slight texture to hide finger prints. ;)

Call around to a local shop and see if there are powder coaters in your area. The whole panel was $40.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back