What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How long to do the paperwork

kentb

Well Known Member
I have already got my registration back, but how long will I need to complete the paperwork needed by my inspector? I am trying to plan out if I have enough time this month to complete everything.

Kent

Kent,

I spent a whole lot more time trying to figure out what paperwork to do than I actually did doing it. I finally figured it out when I got in contact with my DAR, and he told me exactly what I needed. Didn't take long at all - but inspectors may vary, so I'd suggest getting with yours.

Paul

Paperwork

Kent,

If you haven't already, get in touch with your DAR. He/She will be the biggest help in this arena. My DAR wanted multiple copies of all the forms and his own version of a W&B.

From an actual time point of view.. a day is plenty to get all of the paperwork filled out. Having your registration is good. If you haven't already, request a Bill of Sale from Van's.. that will take a coule of weeks. Having the BOS and the Registration is good as the rest of the forms you just have to fill out.

Carefully read the instructions for each form.... FAA is picky about how you fill things out. If you call your FSDO and ask for a "Amateur Built Application Package" they should send you the following, all of which is good info!

FAA Form 8130-6, Application for Airworthiness
FAA Form 8610-2, Application for Airman Certificate
FAA Form 8050-1, Aircraft Registration Application
FAA Form 8130-12, Eligibility Statement
FAA Form 8050-2, Aircraft Bill of Sale (We don't need, Van's will provide.)
AC 20-139, Commercial Assistance
AC 20-27F, Certification of Amateur Built A/C
AC 65-23A, Certification of Repairman
AC 21-12B, Application for Airworthiness Certficate
AC 39-7C, Airworthiness Directives
AC 43-9C, Maintenance Records
AC 90-89A, Flight Testing Amateur Built A/C
AC 8050-88, Indentification Number Assignment
Special Airworthiness Certificate request

These forms are all available through various resources on the internet in PDF format. If you look hard enough, you might find some that have the fields editable now, so you can type in everything and make it look nice.

Small plug: If you have KitLog Pro, all of these forms, including a checklist for the paperwork are included in the software, in editable format.

kentb said:
I have already got my registration back, but how long will I need to complete the paperwork needed by my inspector? I am trying to plan out if I have enough time this month to complete everything.

Kent

Kent:

It depends on how long it takes you to type and get the info ready. More time will be spend getting all the numbers needed for the forms.

check out: http://www.rvdar.com

There should be links to all the forms you need there. If there is a link to a form that is missing, let me know and I will find it for you.

I have found more problems with weight and balance than any other piece of paperwork. If you made a weight and balance report out of the BLANK weight and balance form included in Van's manual, you should be in good shape.

EAA also sells an Amateur-Built Certification Kit. http://shop.eaa.org/html/a_b_cert_kits.html?cart_id=

Check with the DAR that is going to do the inspection to make sure that any thing special he desires is covered.

I am familiar with the forms. It takes me three hours to review everything that is submitted and prepare the Operating Limitations and Special Airworthiness Certificate (8130-7). I then spend another three hours following the inspection completing the paperwork that goes to the FAA including a report of the inspection (FAA Form 8100-1). Yes the DAR spends at least eight hours of his time for every aircraft he inspects.

Gary _at_ rvdar <dot> com

This is where the real good stuff is:

AC 20-27F, Certification of Amateur Built A/C

I read this AC, sent a letter to my FSDO then spent an hour filling out paperwork (carefully! - the AC has examples, based on a suspiciously RV like airplane).

I had my EAA chapter wise men/friends come do a preinspection going over with a fine tooth comb.

The FSDO guy called me about a week before the date I had proposed in my letter. We talked about what was needed and he was happy that the W&B etc... was done and I had a real test plan ready. We talked about the test area I wanted and I emailed him a highlighted portion of a sectional.

He came out to my hangar and spent a few hours going over the plane, made a couple of small suggestions said nice plane, here's your operating limitations, have fun.

Total cost $0. I can't say enough good things about the Oakland FSDO.

Back