What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How long a garage/shop needed for the 12?

doncarljones

Well Known Member
Van's says the total length of the RV-12 is 250 inches, or 20 ft 10 inches.
My garage is 20 ft 11 inches long!
If I just assemble the prop and spinner at my hanger, will the 12 (with engine installed) fit in my garage?

Thanks!

Yes

Leave the tail off also until at the airport. That is what I am doing. I have enough room, but why make it longer if you dont need to. 18' is enough then. You get tired of walking around it near the end anyway.

John Bender

Where does the 250"/20'10" number come from?

Looking at the spec page for the RV-12, the length is listed as 19'11", or 239".
Where does the 250" number come from? (I'm concerned because my garage is about 20' 2"). The height, listed as 8'4" is a bit of a concern for me also, since the back of my garage is but 8' 5". If that max height is at the top of the tailfeathers, I suspect I can give myself some breathing room by letting a little air out of the main gear tires and putting a little extra air in the nose gear tire. Or does the max height of 8'4" occur at the top of an open canopy?

Has anyone with the RV put together enough measured what/where the max height is?

Rob

I had a friend that simply put up his garage door and built a "dog house" to extend and close off the opening. The one piece wing for his GP-4 wouldn't fit any other way.

Garage Fit

My garage is about 23' long and about the same in width. We've got the nose wheel up on about 3 " blocks and we've got about 7 inches between the top of the vert stab and the ceiling (8'1"). Our tailcone is on as is the horizontal stab. We just have to do a bit of walking around, that's all. Some guys are buildig in a one car garage and/or less. A two car should do you fine.
Meade and George
We put our engine order in and have received confirmation of the order. We also just got our shipment of 'clamshells' today, also.
best of luck

I just measured my one-car garage. If I clear out EVERYTHING, I have an area of 21' x 11' and floor-to-ceiling is 91". Realistically, is that enough room to build an RV-12?

I have a T-hangar where I'm keeping my Cessna 152. It has electricity, but no heat, no cooling, no water.

I just measured my one-car garage. If I clear out EVERYTHING, I have an area of 21' x 11' and floor-to-ceiling is 91". Realistically, is that enough room to build an RV-12?

I have a T-hangar where I'm keeping my Cessna 152. It has electricity, but no heat, no cooling, no water.

The garage is plenty big enough for all of the construction of individual parts, the tail section would be no problem and could be moved to your hangar for storage when finished.

You could build each wing separately and move them out to the hangar when they are done too.

The fuselage can be built up and the tail cone brought back for attachment to it so that the finish kit can be done. The only thing that would have to be done at the hangar is the final fit of the wings to the fuselage which is not a big problem and it could be left for last.

We all like to have more room to work but your garage will work just fine with a little parts management.

Good luck with it.

Best regards,
Vern

The fuselage can be built up and the tail cone brought back for attachment to it so that the finish kit can be done.

Thanks for your reply. Is 91" enough height to attach the tail cone to the fuselage on landing gear? If not, I guess the attachment process will have to be done at the hangar.

Next weekend, I'll be attending a SportAir workshop on Sheet Metal Basics to get me started on the road to building a -12. Actual building won't begin until 2012 when I retire.

Thanks for your reply. Is 91" enough height to attach the tail cone to the fuselage on landing gear? If not, I guess the attachment process will have to be done at the hangar.

Next weekend, I'll be attending a SportAir workshop on Sheet Metal Basics to get me started on the road to building a -12. Actual building won't begin until 2012 when I retire.

You would not have the gear legs on the aircraft until after you have attached the tail cone to the fuselage which is done on a table or saw horses, with a low table you can fit the fin, rudder and stabalator then they can be removed and stored until needed just before final assembly. You can then put on the landing gear in the garage and finish the other finish kit tasks. I might add that the attachment of the landing gear is only about a three hour job if that and you do not want to do it until you have all of the inside work done as much of the work in the aircraft is much simpler with the fuselage on its side on saw horses.

Best regards,
Vern

The canopy is going to be the issue. In the fully extended position you'll need about 110" for clearance. Right now, mine hits the garage opener so I can't extend it all the way in the garage, making installation of the struts a real problem unless I move the fuse outside. You'll just have to adapt. As they say in the Navy; "Adapt and overcome"....or was that the Marines? :D

Back