What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How high is your tail?

flion

Well Known Member
Serious question. On level ground how high is the tail tie-down on a RV-10? I'm planning a tail-stand which, while it will be adjustable, needs a ballpark figure to build. It'll be used when the fuselage is on the gear but before the engine is mounted.

Yep..

Bear in mind that I have an engine that compresses the nosewheel and the rubber suspension, raising the tail somewhat.

If you could build the tailstand with a threaded rod center that's adjustable, you'd be better off. Simply weld a big nut horizontally to the top of the tube.

Best,

I don't have a picture handy of just the tail stand but here it is in action. It is a harbor freight tall jack stand with the legs shortened and a fitting added to the top to grab the tail tie down ring.

IMG_1049.jpg

Thanks, guys. I'm actually going the other way. Rather than holding the tail up, I'm building something to hold it down. My friend with the PropJet has a cut-off steel drum on casters that is filled with cement and has a chain on a short post that connects to his tail tie-down plus lugs on either side to secure a strap over the tail as a backup. He uses it to keep the aircraft in level attitude when he jacks the plane up to do a gear retraction test. Granted, I don't have retractable gear but I like the idea of a portable tie-down and it can double as a stand by replacing the chain with a pad. I think I can also use it up front to keep the plane level until I have an engine on the mount. Now that I have N14MX on its gear I have verified the tail height; sawhorses are doing the duty right now but I don't want to be working in the fuselage and find that I've caused a sawhorse to dent the bottom of the tailcone, even with padding.

Back