What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How far am I from completion?

Camillo

Well Known Member
Hallo. I would like to have your opinion about the predictable time to finish my RV9A. Every day I ask myself how much time is left and I can't give myself a definite answer.

Empennage: finished and mounted, included fiberglass and lights.
Fuselage: finished (QB).
Wings: finished (QB), included wingtips and lights. Need to rivet lower skins.
Finish kit: electrical 90% done (apart from avionics wires); canopy and windscreen done (apart from windscreen skirt); panel cut and instruments mounted; all fuel tubes, vent lines installed, interior prime and painting and gear legs done; tires mounted and inflated; 50% antennas (COMM1, XNDR, VOR).
Firewall forward: battery, engine mount, big cables and contactors installed.

Remaining:
- hanging engine and propeller and mounting all related stuff;
- avionics wiring (I think I will go with a Steinair harness) and pitot tubes;
- all F/F related fiberglass;
- 50% antennas (COMM2, DME, ADF);
- details.

I counted approx. 300/350 hours to go. What do you think?
Thanks.

Count the number of rivets remaining. :)

If the machine requires 14000 rivets with 7000 remaining, you're about half way there.

Seriously, every builder goes through this "endless" work phase. What is most important IMHO is to do something every day if at all possible. If the project sits for a month with nothing happening, there will be more of them and these monthly delays really extend the build time.

This is what makes the project seem so "endless".

A Way to Judge!

In my talks, I always tell builders that building an aircraft can be divided into 19 EQUAL time segments.
10%, 20%, 30%........80%, 90%, 91%, 92%, 93%........98%, 99%, 100%.

I can tell who in the audience has completed an airplane before. They are the only ones not laughing. Without fail after the talk, someone will come up to me and say, "You know, I thought you were joking until I had been there."

No laughing here....

In my talks, I always tell builders that building an aircraft can be divided into 19 EQUAL time segments.
10%, 20%, 30%........80%, 90%, 91%, 92%, 93%........98%, 99%, 100%.

I can tell who in the audience has completed an airplane before. They are the only ones not laughing. Without fail after the talk, someone will come up to me and say, "You know, I thought you were joking until I had been there."

I think this is the same as 90% done 90% left to go.

Hallo. I would like to have your opinion about the predictable time to finish my RV9A. Every day I ask myself how much time is left and I can't give myself a definite answer.

snip

Remaining:
- hanging engine and propeller and mounting all related stuff;
- avionics wiring (I think I will go with a Steinair harness) and pitot tubes;
- all F/F related fiberglass;
- 50% antennas (COMM2, DME, ADF);
- details.

Thanks.

I would estimate at least one year to complete your project. I am a little bit farther from you, my engine is mounted, cowling pinholes finished and VFR steam panel in progress. I am still planning one year to complete before talking to DAR.
Typical RV builder story - FT job in a metropolis,3 hours commute both ways. Even the fact that airplane is in the house sometimes doesn't help - no juice left in the body to do something except sweeping the shop and arranging the plans.

You are one year from flying I predict. IF you are in the shop every day:)

before Christmas.
Next year :D Be sure and let us know when the Grin appears. My first flight was about a year from the estimate I made when I was at about the same point you are. I am still amazed at how long it took to get all systems installed and working correctly.

the "finish" line....

I'm working on my canopy right now. Hope to finish it while the wx is warm.

The fuselage is on wheels.

My engine is hung. The wiring done (except FWF).

I hope to be doing fiberglass (cowl, fairings, etc) this fall. Also painting (oct?)

I want to be in Phase 1 by about next Mar 1 and hopefully fly to KOSH next July with my instructor/build partner/friend.

Not sure we'll make it but that's our goal:eek:

Dave
-9A finish kit

Mel, I have to disagree a bit. I think all the segments you mentioned are equal except for 100%, which is interminable - if arguably the most fun.

Actually.......

Mel, I have to disagree a bit. I think all the segments you mentioned are equal except for 100%, which is interminable - if arguably the most fun.

the 100% is an imaginary number; as we all know an amateur-built aircraft is NEVER 100% done! I've been flying mine for over 16 years and I'm still not finished.

Thanks...

...for every answer.

Here in Italy, I already heard the "90% done...90% to do" story, but I will shortly (i.e.: November-Dicember) have a period without any other work to do than the airplane.

Maybe, 60 days @ 8 hours per day = 480 hours. It should be enough. I hope.

Please, please enjoy the journey. It's not all about the end game. Acquiring the knowledge and the consummated pride in surmounting each phase of the build is key.

Thanks.

Have you done this before?

If so, 250 hours to finish the build.

If not, 500 hours, not including a lot of head scratching.

Add 100 hours if you paint it.

Add 50 hours for final assembly.

The closer you get to the end, the more head scratching you'll do. Driving rivets is easy and fast. Choosing the best wire run, the best cowling mounting system, or a hundred other details is what can really take time.

100 percent never happens

I helped a friend build an RV9a in 18 months from delivery to first flight. That was a year ago, and he is still working on it, but at least he has flown over 200 hours and cant wipe the grin off his face. he will never finish it. :eek:

SATURDAY

I like Jim's answer Tuesday. Mine is Saturday but
still don't know what YEAR.:rolleyes:

Enjoy the build. I am at the same point and don't press
the issue on time. It will be done when its done. I think there is
a thread going on hurry up ittes. I think 8-9 months is a good WAG.

My .02

Back