What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How does your RV sound?

Paul K

Well Known Member
A friend of mine took this iPhone video of me taking off yesterday and emailed it to me. I didn't know he was doing this and being a phone video it isn't the greatest quality but, the sound! I always wondered what I sounded like and ofter planned to have a friend take it up so I could see and hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ytdERSnnQ&feature=youtu.be

What does your RV sound like?

I've always assumed my RV-6 sounds just like all the other O-320, carbed, fixed-pitch RVs I've heard over the past 15 years. :)

It sounds like my 9A. My daughter took one of me flying overhead at 1300 feet and one during take off. Both sound sweet! :D

It's funny how it sounds far less ferocious from inside the plane.

It sounds like

VVVVVVVvvvvvvrrrrrROOOOOooooooooOOOoooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo.....

(couldn't resist)

Have you heard your RV from the ground?

For the first 400 hrs I was always in my plane when it flew. Then 2 years ago my 20 year old son took her up without me for the first time. Even though I had heard many other RV's take off and fly this was different. I got goose bumps from hearing the engine roar, seeing 96FS accelerate away and take to the air with my son at the controls. It gives me even more satisfaction now when ever I take off with friends or relatives looking on knowing that the presentation is impressive. My son fly's my RV often now with over 100 hrs in it and when ever I can be at the airport when he is taking off for a trip I try to be there to see him off, just so I can see and hear my creation take to the air from the ground.

Frank;
I like your story.
"Infecting" other people with aviation is one of my favorite things.
When I introduced my 2nd wife and son Peter to flying, well that was sweet.
Now they both have RV-4s! Music!
My T-18 with O-290 has an unmuffled crossover exhaust, with drilled tips, commonly known as "Piccolo Pipes". When Marilyn flew overhead in it, I heard the softened note caused by these holes. Not as agressive, but a sweet sound too.

Piccolo Pipes

My T-18 with O-290 has an unmuffled crossover exhaust, with drilled tips, commonly known as "Piccolo Pipes". When Marilyn flew overhead in it, I heard the softened note caused by these holes. Not as agressive, but a sweet sound too.

Chief,
Do those piccolo ends impact engine performance, HP, etc?

Sid,
I can't answer that. My pipes are not add-on tips as seen on one of the vendor' web pages. They cannot be removed for verification testing.
Mine were sqeezed into an oval, and holes drilled in a pattern on the flattened bottom, then each hole was bent back a bit by inserting a rod (think screw driver) in the hole and pulling the handle in the downstream direction.
The T-18 makes a respectable 174 MPH @ WOT 4000 DA 2650 RPM on a 125 HP O-290.
Comparing my T-18 to Marilyn's RV-4 isn't apples-to-apples: she has a 160 HP O-320 with a unmuffled crossover system, no Piccolo. It has the exact same sound as the Youtube recordings (sweet!). The T-18 is softer but has 90% the engine displacement and only 78% of the power. I would expect it to be quieter.
Trying a Piccolo pipe tip on my Turbo Rotary powered RV-8 did get a 2.2 DBa reduction. Readings are taken at my face while at cruise speed @ 4000 MSL. It was 116.8 now 114.6. Still too loud, but a 3 DB decrease is half the sound pressure, so 2.2 DB is not insignificant. I suppose these on-going sound level tests will be at different altitudes and speeds over time, I just keep the meter in the foot well, and test whenever I think of it.
I calculated the area and number of holes to replace the lost exit area caused by squeezing the tip.
I only have 6.3 flight hours on the RV-8 sofar, and no wheel pants or leg fairings, so speed testing...NOT. however, I have attained 183 MPH TAS at 4000 MSL, @ 31" MP, not bad.
Why 4000 MSL instead of the accepted 8000 that VANs uses?
Because it is just outside the 3000 MSL lid of class B over the airport, in the area with a 5000 MSL lid. It's easy to get to and easy to stay in. As I get more flight time and assure reliability, I will go farther afield so I can get up to 8000 MSL and beyond...

Anecdotal evidence yesterday that the 9's do indeed whistle. A couple of pilots at the fuel pump mentioned it after I shut down. Sure can't hear it inside though. They used the term turbine sound. Just added to the Walter Miitty effect. Shame on me.

flightlogic - whether you can or can't hear the whistle is, I've discovered, somewhat dependent on the headset you're wearing. A friend's 9A has a VERY clear whistle when perceived from the ground - I don't even have to look up to know it's him coming. I've had the good fortune to fly with him on a few occasions and as luck would have it, I didn't manage to bring along the same headset each time. As a result I've inadvertently been hearing his airplane through three different headsets. I found that as he decelerated to enter downwind I could hear the whistle in the Bose X headset. Hadn't heard it with either the David Clarks or the Halo's.

Bang bang

Alex that was a nice video. On minute 1 something was banging check the airframe :D

That banging was an accompaniment to the RV engine's song from airfield technicians. They were probably fixing a helicopter using a big hammer:D

Alex, your camera person just couldn't keep up with that beast!

Joe, that cameraman got a camera in hands for the first time. I supose he did the best of him and the footage became possible to see only after my assembling it from a number of pieces. I specially didn't add any music to the video to don't mute the engine sound ;)

JGT,

Couldn't agree more! I have IO360, WW 200RV prop, and Vetterman four straight pipes. Love it!

Back