What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How do I fix a missing rivet in an elevator?

I bought a used empennage kit and while inspecting an elevator I noticed a missing rivet for a dimpled hole. The vertical columns of rivets on either side extend down to the bottom but in this column the last one is missing as the pictures show.

Is there a way to fix this without taking the whole thing apart? Should I just put in a pop rivet and call it a day?

IMG_1614_zps79vfom7q.jpg

IMG_1615_zps2jyd7f2n.jpg

If you can't get to the back of it to buck an AN426AD3, then drill the hole to 7/64" and use an mk319-bs blind rivet. These are the smallest structural countersunk rivets available. Don't feel too bad about having to use one here. This won't be the only spot you will need them.
Good luck.
Tom.

Last edited:
If you can't get to the back of it to buck an AN426AD3, then drill the hole to 7/64" and use an mk319-bs blind rivet. These are the smallest structural countersunk rivets available. Don't feel too bad about having to use one here. This won't be the only spot you will need them.
Good luck.
Tom.

Yep. Pop rivet is the way to go. Then, when you paint, you dab a bit of filler into the hole left by the mandrel. Once it is painted, it'll be unnoticeable.

Chui,
That missing rivet can still be installed before the trailing edge is done. Just put a wood wedge in to hold apart the trailing edge while you buck it.
Joe

Chui,
That missing rivet can still be installed before the trailing edge is done. Just put a wood wedge in to hold apart the trailing edge while you buck it.
Joe

Better still, you should be able to reach that rivet with a squeezer, which means you don't need to risk dinging either skin while driving a rivet.

Back