What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How do I change a fuel pump on an RV4 ,!

N605RV

My fuel pump failed on my trusty RV4. Will not come off unless I either remove the engine or cut a hole in the firewall but concerned it’s structural. Anyone else faced this dilemma.
Mike 720 320 4189

You should be able to remove the two lower engine to mount bolts and gently lift the engine enough to gain clearance. Do not add any holes to the firewall

I have replaced the pump on my RV4. Removing the lower two bolts and gently raising the engine a few inches will work. Keep track of which washers (and how many) go in each location.

be very careful about putting too much force on the engine hoist fitting. Cost of a mistake is a new crankcase. Use a good cargo strap looped around the bottom of the sump to share You might even remove the spinner and wrap a second strap around the prop. the load. And yes the upper bolts need to be loosened.
Be very careful to get the pump arm lined up with the pushrod. Improper alignment of the arm caused a RV fatal.
Also a good time to review proper use of electric boost pump. Off after start to verify engine driven pump. On for takeoff and landing. Another RV badly damaged because boost pump was not on for takeoff.

I have an RV-4 and have changed the fuel pump several times. It's a bit of a puzzle, but I never had to unbolt the engine. Can you post a picture?

Is there any way I can damage the pump by installing it with the actuating rod in the wrong position (this is a first for me)

I have an RV-4 and have changed the fuel pump several times. It's a bit of a puzzle, but I never had to unbolt the engine. Can you post a picture?
I’ll try but it’s so tight even a photo is hard. There’s only about a half inch v
clearance between the pump and the firewall, right at the point where it folds from the vertical to horizontal to form the rudder well. It’s so tight when I unscrew the two allen head bolts, the the heads hit the pump housing etc

Back