What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How do I adjust the depth of the countersink in the cage?

bhassel

Well Known Member
I probably lost the instructions somewhere. I thought this was going to be easy. I have the Avery countersink cage set but I can't seem to get the #30 120 degree bit to adjust in the cage.

I'm not sure what I'm missing. Any ideas?

Bob

Rotate the knurled ring a few turns (clockwise looking down from memory). This will allow the spring loaded top half of the outer shell to be lifted clear of the serrations on the bottom half of the shell. Rotate the bottom shell to adjust the depth the countersink (trial and error to get the right depth) and release the top shell to lock it in place. Tighten the knurled ring again, but don't overtighten it. In fact, I've slipped an O-ring under mine to make sure it doesn't lock up too tightly. Hope this description makes sense.

Thanks!

I hate to admit it, but I didn't see that the cage split in half! I thought the saw tooth design was just a design! Duh...

I sure hope the remaining blonde soon turns to gray...:eek:

Bob

Just to clarify -- and I think this is the intent of the advice above -- don't turn it a few turns, adjust it one tooth at a time until you get it just right.

As Ken Scott of Van's accurately and wisely taught us years ago in a SportAir workshop, the name MicroStop, suggests precision accuracy. It's best not to believe it. Be patient when using the thing.

Bob is correct. It's amazing to see how much difference only a one or two notch/tooth adjustment can make.

Back