What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How difficult to change panel on RV-6

BloomerJohn

I am jones'n for a complete new panel on my RV6. I did not build it, so I must ask you experts what is involved in replacing the main panel. Time estimates general steps and cautions would help me make my decision.

Thank you in advance...

John Nielsen
www.Flight-Resource.com

John,

Louise Hose and Paul Dye documented the changing of Louise's RV-6 panel HERE. Lots of pictures and words.

b,
dr

John,

It's fun, rewarding, and will take you four times longer than you plan....but well worth it! Modern avionics are much easier to wire than the old stuff. In fact, the most difficult part is probably going to be deciding what to buy and install...

Paul

It depends ...

If your RV-6 was built according to the drawings and the instrument panel is riveted to the upper forward fuselage skin before the windshield is permanently installed with fiberglass that is a situation you are going to have to deal with. Once you solve that problem it can be much the same as the original build. Wiring will be a problem but less than the panel itself if you have a schematic/wiring diagram of the current configuration and the wires are well marked. A part of the wiring that leaves the panel area can be spliced and reused. If you have to make new wire/coax runs there can be a lot of grunt work - nothing technically prohibitive. I installed additional instruments and autopilot systems long after I built the plane and carefully did the work with no problems. I think a first time major job like that is not something you want to take on with a focus on schedule - for a normal builder it will probably take months. Mel talked about replacing the panel in his RV-6 not too long ago maybe he can give you some input.

Bob Axsom

Back