What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How did you guys do this??

rv7guy2

I have run up against what seems like an immoveable mountain in riveting the cowling attach hinge strips to the lower fuselage. I was wondering how many others have had the same problem and what did you do to overcome it? The problem is, there is insufficient room between the verticle engine mount tubes and the firewall lip to use a squeezer or even a small bucking bar on the lower 6 to 8 rivets. That's the rivets near the bottom of the firewall flange and the engine mount mounting bolt location.
I have spent hours looking for ways to set the rivets without mashing the eyelets of the hinge strips. And I don't want to use pull rivets if at all possible.
I know others have solved this problem..on the Dan Chekoway website, he shows the use of a couple of custom made bucking bars. Is that what I'm going to have resot to?
I'm open for suggestion.

Frustrated as heck

Dave C
RV-7
C-GCPD

Piece of cake...I made up special bucking bars to do the job :D . They have a little cut out that fits around and behind the hinge eyelets and just miss the engine mount tube.

I've loaned them out plenty of times....matter of fact our good buddy Dan C. even used 'em all the way out in Caleeforneyea (Arnold pronunciation).

Other option is pops....but I KNOW you don't want pops in there :) .

You're welcome to them if you like....or maybe I could get a pic for you :rolleyes: .

Last edited:
rv6rick said:
I've loaned them out plenty of times....matter of fact our good buddy Dan C. even used 'em all the way out in Caleeforneyea (Arnold pronunciation).
I still owe ya for that Rick. 20:20 hindsight, coulda riveted the hinges on before the engine mount went on, but your bucking bars saved the day!

RV6RICK-Bucking Bars

Thanks for responding to my post about the firewall flange-cowl attach problem. Would you be willing to lend me one off your special bucking bars? If so please e-mail my home account [email protected].
I see your are in Ohio and I'm in Ontario so shipping charges would not be too much.

Thanks

Dave
RV-7
C-GCPD

No problem. I actually got a couple emails to borrow them. I'll send them to you 1st since you asked first....then I'll have you mail them straight to the 2nd guy. Will contact you at the address you gave me.

Hey Dan....1st....you don't 'owe' me buddy. 2nd....you must have forgot about the throttle quad you sent me......the little knobs were just what the doctor ordered :D .

Back