What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How did you drill the flap actuator for safety wire?

mikeangiulo

I'm looking at the flap actuator rod and the safety wire drilling instructions. I can't seem to figure out how I'm going to shoot this hole with a tiny bit and have enough room for the jam nut.

Any tips? I did a few searches and found the question asked but didn't find any how-to responses (and I don't want to ugly up the end by just taking a running start at it).

Thanks in advance!

I wondered the same thing, but I got out a small bit and simply started drilling at about a 45 degree angle and it came ouit just fine. This is a case of don't think, just do it.

Did the same, started with the bit more 90deg to get it started and soon as I could, I rotated it to the correct angle.

Same, but used a punch

I put the nut on and saw where I'd need to have the hole so it cleared the nut. Then center-punched the drill spot. Took the nut off, and like said above, started the hole at about 90* then leaned the drill over to get the 45*. Worked fine. Don't sweat it.

That jig won't work in this case.

2761938060042045769S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:
you're all right (of course) - I just took a #50 bit, started straight and turned it once I got the hole going and it worked fine

sometimes steps like this need a little encouragement - thanks for the advice!

Back