What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How did you dimple this hole?

N710MC

I'm New Here
So I borrowed a friend's DRDT and got all of the required holes dimpled except the one closest to the forward edge on the middle nose rib. The skin to too long to fit in the DTRT and I've tried changing the angle every which way to sunday, but I can't get it to fit. I was considering ordering the pop rivet puller dimple set, but I've been told it makes crappy dimples. I did order the rivet set with the 3/16 hole for the gun and will make a "back rivet plate" style piece that will attach to the table wile a hole for the die similar to the one cleveland tool's sells.
How did everyone else tackle this?

Attachments

• Annotation 2022-12-30 095041.jpg
    Annotation 2022-12-30 095041.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Not me…I built my own DRDT….and shaved off the angle on the lower part of the frame deeper….I can get to those on the DRDT and made perfect dimples. The base of the DRDT is a rather blunt angle and this is what prevents you using it….I used a cut off wheel and a linishing disc to smooth it up….it does not need to be that deep there. Mind you I built mine in 1/4” steel as it’s what I had. Good luck.

I built my -10 using the DRDT and always wished it had a deeper throat for these dimples. The Pop Rivet dimple set works for these dimples the DRDT won’t reach. They can come in handy through the build so you might as well order them.
I sold all my tools when I sold the -10, so like Swift12, I built my own version of the DRDT and made it a 2” deeper throat when I started the -9 build.

it is tight in terms of depth...however i did it on the standard size DRDT...but made the angle a lot more acute on the bottom....be careful on those skins as the angle at the bottom of the DRDT will scratch them up good. so i put blue tape on them.

So I borrowed a friend's DTRT and got all of the required holes dimpled except the one closest to the forward edge on the middle nose rib. The skin to too long to fit in the DTRT and I've tried changing the angle every which way to sunday, but I can't get it to fit. I was considering ordering the pop rivet puller dimple set, but I've been told it makes crappy dimples. I did order the rivet set with the 3/16 hole for the gun and will make a "back rivet plate" style piece that will attach to the table wile a hole for the die similar to the one cleveland tool's sells.
How did everyone else tackle this?

Pop rivet dimpler. Not had that issue on any other skins since that task. You’ll have other ones though, but not that particular one.

DIY at it's best

So...I made something. I am still waiting on the rivet set with the 3/16 hole for the male die and will use the rivet gun and this plate I made. It's 1/4 aluminum plate I had in the garage. Unapologetic ripoff from cleveland.

Attachments

• Dimple workaround.jpg
    Dimple workaround.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 82
So...I made something. I am still waiting on the rivet set with the 3/16 hole for the male die and will use the rivet gun and this plate I made. It's 1/4 aluminum plate I had in the garage. Unapologetic ripoff from cleveland.

I'm in the "if it's worth doing, it's worth over doing" builder mindset, so take this FWIW.

If you go the route of using your "custom dimpler", I would consider adding a couple of "support" pieces that help to hold the sheet flat and at the correct height in the area where you are going to dimple. Something like some small scraps of wood screwed into the plywood that run parallel to the plate, and have a height profile that is the same height as the female die, maybe slightly lower (not higher though). As you are dimpling, the shop gremlins will tend to move the sheet out of the plane it needs to be in, and you can get a "wavy" look to the hole.

Also, I would try to find a way to support that aluminum piece from underneath - some way that will add some stiffness to it.

Lastly, an extra set of hands, or maybe some cushioned weight, to hold the sheet in place would not be a bad idea.

Dimpling with a rivet gun

Be careful with the rivet gun. It takes just a few light hits to dimple these skins. Much less than to drive a rivet. Pay attention to the die alignment.

I've dimpled both ways, and much prefer the pop dimple die. I use several smaller squeezes in quick succession instead of one big mandrel-snapping Popeye squeeze.

Back