What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How about a Roll bar modification

togaflyer

Well Known Member
I love my -10. The only things that are a miss is a small baggage door and the rear seat backrest cross brace. Nothing can be done with the door, but every time I’m stuffing our bikes in the back, I’m thinking what can be done to create a modification where the plane can be flown with the cross brace removed. I remember back in 2016 during my build asking that question and answers I got back was just no. But if ER tanks can be engineered for the -10 wings, what about a cool mod for a removable backrest cross brace. Maybe something like a roll bar or brace?

Any thought to something removeable (for loading/unloading), but still in-place for flight? Still in the way when flying but would help with the cargo in/out situation. Cub type aircraft have a removeable rear seat cross brace mod for this purpose (but needs to be installed during flight).

Maybe the larger rear pax seat brace can be removed and something else installed in place (like a more compact chromoly tube) for in-flight use.

Last edited:
Answer from Vans

The F-1034B provides structural strength to the fuselage, not just the back brace. Unfortunately, your request is beyond the scope of technical service.
Thanks!
Tom Durkee
Builder Support
Van's Aircraft

70 years ago, clever engineers at On-Mark designed the ring spar mod for the A-26 Invader. That opened up the interior for executive use as opposed to having a large rear spar carry-through in the way of everything. Along similar lines, I'm sure it is possible to design/install a beefy bulkhead that would give an RV-10 stock or better structural strength - probably at a weight penalty, while improving aft seat/baggage access. There's no reason such a mod couldn't include a removable seat brace.

Here's a link to info about On-Mark conversons:

Back