What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hot Springs, SD

java

Well Known Member
Quick pirep as I sit in my hotel room...

Good N/S runway. Self serve fuel. Quiet place, but I got a hangar spot to park the 6 and the crew car overnight at a good price. It's a well used Dodge Durango that looks like it went 12 rounds with a ball pean hammer (hail). Airport manager was very helpful and friendly. Only person I saw on the field.

Town relatively quiet this time of the year, but I bet it could be busy at times. Short flight to Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse monument, and the Devil's Tower just across the line in Wyoming (planning my flyby's for tomorrow). Also close to Sturgis for the Harley minded.

Lots of budget type hotels available. Stay USA, Motel 6, etc. The Stay USA was good. Clean, cheap, free wi-fi (hence this pirep). Close to "The Mamoth Site" which is supposed to be a big draw (fossils of dozens of mammoths), but it closed at 5 and I didn't get there in time.

I understand Vetterman exhausts are out of here, but didn't realize it until the airport manager told me.

Also heard there was a big RV gathering about a month ago with around 40 planes here.

I'll add more when I get home and can download some pics.

Hot Springs is home of the Badlands Flyin hosted by Larry & Kathy Vetterman.

Search that and check it out. See you next year! It is a hoot!

Last edited:
Back