What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

horn brace

rwarre

Well Known Member
I have 2 holes in the horn brace (rudder skeleton) where the skin attaches that are less than the required edge distance according to the standard. Is this something I should replace or not worry about it.

Your horn brace is resting ON TOP OF the rudder horn, correct? If you tried to get it to go under the rudder horn, I can see how it would pull the top edge down and give you holes too close to the edge. This is how it should be put together (horn brace on top of horn, picture borrowed from Mike Nipp):

rDSC03599.jpg

I have 2 holes in the horn brace (rudder skeleton) where the skin attaches that are less than the required edge distance according to the standard. Is this something I should replace or not worry about it.
Call Van's and tell them that their instructions are bad here. When they tell you that they've never heard of this problem before.... well, you can decide what to say in reply.

Seriously, they really need to update their plans at least once in four years and/or send out new parts for free.

I ordered another brace and trimmed way above the guide holes.

Back