What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Horizontal Stabilizer - Rear Spar

Golf Echo

So, today I match-drilled the HS-609PP reinforcement bars to the HS-603PP rear spar channels. Today, I also made my first bone-headed move on the build. :p

I match-drilled the elevator hinge brackets, and enlarged the HS-411 attach holes to #12. Then, I disassembled. That's when I realized that I had clecoed the top HS-609PP at the bottom of the spar, and the bottom HS-609PP at the top of the spar :eek:.

The issue being that the top inside edge of the top HS-609PP (and the bottom inside edge of the bottom HS-609PP) had been been given a larger radius to fit nicely into the radius of the spar, as per the instructions.

I think I have 3 options:

1. Radius the other edge to fit nicely with the spar radius - I think this is my best option
  2. Put [what was originally] the top HS-609PP back at the top (where it wasn't match-drilled to) and hope for the best at assembly time - I'm not a big fan of this idea
  3. Order new HS-609PP and HS-603PP parts - I really hope this won't be necessary...

I think option 1 is my best bet, but I'm not sure if I should be at all concerned with removing more material from another edge of each HS-609PP to get a nice fit. It's not a lot of material, but I figured I'd at least throw it out there before I build on.

What says the VAF Brain Trust?

Welcome to the club...

Graham,
I did the EXACT same thing! Stressed over it all night and then called Van's the next day... Ken Scott told me to leave the upper HS-609 on the bottom and vice versa - just the way it was, radius the "new" edges and move on.

I remember when I flipped them back to the original orientation - the elevator bracket holes did not match up so re-drilling those would have to be the next option and that wasn't a good option. So yes, your #1 option is your best.

Here is the link to my bone-head moment...

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...ear&project=2191&category=0&log=160056&row=35

And the answer from Vans :

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...ear&project=2191&category=0&log=160057&row=34

Keep pounding those rivets!

Jim,

Thanks so much for your reply and the links to your build log. It's nice to hear I'm not the only one, and even better to know that I can easily solve the problem by spending a bit more quality time with my beloved vixen file.

Thanks again. Back to the shop!

Back