What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Horizontal Stabilizer question

N218WZ

I noticed on the Horizontal Stabilizer drawings it states to "trim the horizontal stabilizer rear spar to allow for elevator control horns to pivot forward and contact the elevator down control stop; however, it doesn't say anything about this in the builder notes. Is this something I need to do now or something that will be called out later?

Scott,

At the time, this made no sense to me... So I didn't do it.

When I took it down from the rafters earlier his year I completed that nd several other unfinished tasks on it very quickly.

Ignore he trimming for now. Do it later.

Press on!

;). CJ

Look really close at the diagram. Its really hard to see but its there... i think its one inch off the flange.

Thanks Guys! I decided since I still have everything laid out on the work bench (& the fact I haven't yet riveted the rear spar in place) I would go ahead and just trim the rear spar to make room for the elevator control arms. Pretty successful, no issues to report. Thanks for the feedback
1953166_orig.jpg

Last edited:
Scott,

I totally agree. Do it now. CJ is right, you could get away with it. On this one. But you might as well get used to studying the drawings in close detail. As you progress into the later kits, Vans does less and less hand-holding in the manual with the written step-by-step instructions. You will find lots of little details in some of the drawings that won't be mentioned in the written instructions.

Carry on... :)

.... As you progress into the later kits, Vans does less and less hand-holding in the manual with the written step-by-step instructions. You will find lots of little details in some of the drawings that won't be mentioned in the written instructions. :)

Bruce nailed it. Exactly correct. Some of the call-outs (important ones!) on the drawings are very small and very subtle.

Scott,

I totally agree. Do it now. CJ is right, you could get away with it. On this one. But you might as well get used to studying the drawings in close detail. As you progress into the later kits, Vans does less and less hand-holding in the manual with the written step-by-step instructions. You will find lots of little details in some of the drawings that won't be mentioned in the written instructions.

Carry on... :)

Yep, it's kind of like an Easter egg hunt. You never quite know if you found all the eggs.

I have seen this question come up before and some builders have replied do not trim until final assembly because you trim only enough for a certain amount of travel for the elevators (23deg I think). I trimmed mine when I assembled the rear spar but now I wish I didn't. I am nowhere near final assembly but if I get there, I may have this one more thing to fix/modify. Oh well, it's all part of the experience!

Again, I have to say do it now. I just hung my elevators today for the first time, and its one less thing that needed to be done.

Back