What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Horizontal Rear mount Carb?

niblettda

Well Known Member
I've found a Lycoming O-360 engine with a horizontal REAR mount carb. Safe to say, I've never seen this before. Is this something that would fit in a RV7/9? I'd have to think that it would really make it easy to smooth out the cowl.

Sadly it's not a constant speed prop, but it just got me thinking.

I've found a Lycoming O-360 engine with a horizontal REAR mount carb. Safe to say, I've never seen this before. Is this something that would fit in a RV7/9? I'd have to think that it would really make it easy to smooth out the cowl.

Sadly it's not a constant speed prop, but it just got me thinking.

David,
Sounds like you've got an O-360-A4x out of a Grumman. I can't answer your question directly. I'm building an 8A, not a side by side model. Worst case, you'd have to buy a sump and intake tubes off of a vertical or forward facing (Angle valve 360 with forward fuel injection) engine. AERO also sells a kit for converting vertical and rear facing systems to forward. It's pricey. See

http://www.aeroinstock.com/products/Oil-Sump-320%2F360/6160/0/product_cat/index.html

I'll bet that Mattituck also carries those sumps. Check with them too.

http://www.mattituck.com/

You can also find them used (off of Mooneys) on EBay occasionally.
Charlie Kuss

Last edited:
I know it won't work on an A model, I can't speak with certainty for the others. However, I believe you can modify the rear load sump to become a front load with minimal effort.... Not positive of this by any stretch.

I don't think works..

I know it won't work on an A model, I can't speak with certainty for the others. However, I believe you can modify the rear load sump to become a front load with minimal effort.... Not positive of this by any stretch.

...on the O-360-A4K (Grumman Tiger) and similar Lyc. models.

The casting for the internal intake tubes does not connect to a front face flat like some of the IO models, IRRC.

The sump/intake tubes change should work though, and the HA-6 carb will have a fair value.

The O-360-A4K - if that is the model you are looking at - also has the solid crank mentioned in a previous post. Constant speed would require an electrically controlled MT prop.

Last edited:
Thanks osxuser and as_gila, that's what I was really trying to figure out. I didn't think it was going to work in the 9A, but I was hopeful. It would be a nice set up to make a nice smooth cowl bottom if I could figure out how to get the carb around the gear mount. (I'm assuming that is most likely the problem.)

Thanks for everyone's help!

Back