What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Horizontal induction with afp injection & superior cold air sump

mcgaughy

Patron
IO-360-M1B
Superior Cold Air Sump
AFP FM-150 throttle body

Can anyone tell me if I will have a cowl interference with this set up. The only logical way I've found to orient for throttle and mixture controls are to put the arms on the bottom and run the cables between the sump and crossover exhaust. The superior cold air sump has an interference that will not allow for the AFP FM-150C setup with mixture cross over Rod.

I've spent a lot of time searching and talking to folks and believe the best route is to plan to have a cowl blister.....and wishing I didn't have to do that. I've already got the engine and fuel injection so that horse has left the barn. I also have a B&C starter / alternator. Wish I had known of these interferences before hand. Oh well.

Thanks for any help or advice. Ellis

I've got a parallel valve IO-360 with the Superior cold air sump & horizontal induction and an RSA5 fuel injection servo, all tucked in a Sam James cowling. My hangar mate has the same setup except he has the Airflow Performance fuel injection system. Neither of us had to make blisters on the cowling.

I had to get kind of creative and make my own brackets to hold the throttle and mixture cables. As I recall, I went through several iterations of those using Van's supplied parts as a pattern before I landed on some I was happy with. The mixture bracket had to work around a little square bump on the Superior sump...not sure if that's what you're referring to or not.

Not sure if the Sam James cowling has more room or less room than the standard Van's cowling.

If any of this is what's got you concerned, PM me and I'll send you some pics of the brackets I took way back when...assuming I can find them.

Last edited:
I have what Dave has, Parallel IO360, Horizontal, ColdAir induction and RSA5, except with the standard, smooth bottom Vans cowl. I also had to make/modify the Vans provided mixture & throttle brackets. No cowl modifications.

You might call AFP to check out different arms/levers that work better. I’m not there yet but speaking with avstar, I had the exact question about my vans smooth bottom cowl with 360 superior cai sump. They said they had multiple choices when I get to that point just call and we’d figure it out.

FM150 w/ cold air sump

Look like i have the same configuration as the OP. This pic is not the best and i hope it comes thru. I have the Showplanes bracket and you can see how i oriented for both throttle and mixture. The mixture arm comes close to the cowling in the full rich position but there is clearance. Dont know if you can tell in the pic but i used one of those washer head screw/bolts for the mixture (AN509?) with the head down to maximize clearance.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eQRNx6yyLJqOG5Tt_TkLXcIQ0rdgHqLc/view?usp=sharing

Chris

I don't know about your specific setup, but often making control cable brackets that suit your installation helps - start with thin aluminium and then go to steel.
Bumping the cowl is not that difficult.
Find someone locally with some experience who can help.
Pete

Ellis,

Don at AFP has a slick package of control cable brackets (and connecting rods) for what you need. I used them on my IO-360-M1B when I did the fit up test for his new FM-150C.

Give him a call.
Carl

I wasn’t able to make it work with my Sam James cowl. I ended up rotating the servo 90 degrees and making a custom throttle bracket. My solution for the cowl was to reform the lower scoop to avoid a blister.

Attachments

• IMG_8786.jpg
    IMG_8786.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 70
IO-360-M1B
Superior Cold Air Sump
AFP FM-150 throttle body

Can anyone tell me if I will have a cowl interference with this set up. The only logical way I've found to orient for throttle and mixture controls are to put the arms on the bottom and run the cables between the sump and crossover exhaust. The superior cold air sump has an interference that will not allow for the AFP FM-150C setup with mixture cross over Rod.

I've spent a lot of time searching and talking to folks and believe the best route is to plan to have a cowl blister.....and wishing I didn't have to do that. I've already got the engine and fuel injection so that horse has left the barn. I also have a B&C starter / alternator. Wish I had known of these interferences before hand. Oh well.

Thanks for any help or advice. Ellis

Ellis,
I have the exact same set up that I will be installing after I fit the cowl. I came to the same conclusion that both levers need to be facing down and the cables between the sump and crossovers. AFP make a straight throttle control arm the will fit the arm closer to the throttle body. Please post pictures when you get yours installed. I’m hoping for a solution where the cowl doesn’t need a bump.

Thanks,
Nick

It'll Work

No need or concern with cowl clearance for me. IO-360 parallel, Superior cold air forward, FM-150, Van's smooth cowl. The Showplanes bracket is a good foundation to build on. Take care positioning the firewall passthroughs for best approach advantage and you likely will have to get creative with pushrod retention.

What exhaust are you using? Vetterman's crossover left little wiggle room for all that "stuff" (fuel hoses, controls, fat wires, red cube, alternator, starter, cabin heat, frankensnorkle) that accumulates around the throttle and mixture levers.

John Siebold

Back