What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Horizontal induction Air Box

johnfurey

Well Known Member
I am trying to install the snorkel and air filter on my RV7 but the plans are not at all acurate or descriptive. Any help would be appreciated

Hi John,

On my last RV7 (same set up as yours) the 'snorkel' didn't fit both ends at the same time. I cut it in half and fit both ends then glassed it back together making a male/female separation flange in the center. Turned out real nice and looks great painted to match the rest of the engine compartment. I sent you some pics to your private email.

Call if you need additional help or explanation, you have the number.

Hi John,

On my last RV7 (same set up as yours) the 'snorkel' didn't fit both ends at the same time. I cut it in half and fit both ends then glassed it back together making a male/female separation flange in the center. Turned out real nice and looks great painted to match the rest of the engine compartment. I sent you some pics to your private email.

Call if you need additional help or explanation, you have the number.

Could you pass along those same pics to me also? I have the same setup and your description sounds different and possibly better to my liking than other solutions I have seen. Thanks!

Could you pass along those same pics to me also? I have the same setup and your description sounds different and possibly better to my liking than other solutions I have seen. Thanks!

Pics just sent to your email account.

-1 version

Hi Rene,
Hope you are well.
Yes, you have the early version of the horizontal induction snorkel.
Mine is the later version which is a little bit different shape, but still needed cutting in half.

snorkel surgery...

fitting the standard vans snorkel is even more fun using an airflow performance injector, which has a larger fuel servo, that is longer, wider, and has a slip fitting rather than a bolt flange.

after deciding that there was no way i would get a satisfactory fit with the snorkel in one piece...

i split it in two.
img5315sv.jpg

then fitted each half independently with quite a bit of focus on cowling clearance. the blue lines are where i would cut so that i could work the glass with some heat to match up.
img5405v.jpg

here you can see the opened up pieces inside preparing for the first layup of the rejoined pieces.
img5410n.jpg

here it is after a round of sanding, back on to fit the deck attach / filter channel.
img5427p.jpg

all and all not too big of a deal but quite time consuming. i still need to finish with more sanding and a bit more epoxy and glass and work on smoothing the transition to the inlet... just time...

Last edited:
Back