What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hor. Stab spar reinforcement question

STINGRAY

I'm filing the reinforcement bars (609PP) and wonder how much grinding/filing is permissable. Every time I turn around I find more scratches that need to be removed.
Van says all scratches need to be removed and finish should be that of a satin finish produced with 400grit wet/dry. I do have a couple of scuffs that will require a fair amount of grinding. Any thoughts you'd care to share? I put a mic on it and They are .187 thickness,

Tony

there shouldn't be any marks that are deeper than tooling mark scratches. I took them all out with a single cut file and scotchbrite. If you think you're actually changing the shape or dimensions of the part yours might be damaged. Do you have a picture?

Spar Reinforcement

I remove rough edges on long parts like the 609PP by clamping the part on edge (lengthwise), followed by draw-filing the edge. Pad the jaws of your vice /workmate/etc. so you don't add scratches in the process.

You don't need to go overboard with the filing, just enough to get rid of the punch/tooling marks. Five to ten strokes with the file is usually enough to do the job.

On shorter parts I use 3M rubber sanding blocks (from Lowe's) with various grits of emery cloth/aluminum oxide sandpaper instead of the file.

Emery cloth/sandpaper wrapped around a dowel helps smooth the inside radius of any curved parts.

Filing is followed by a polishing using a 2" Scotchbrite wheel mounted on an air grinder. The wheel will quickly wear a groove since it's softer than the aluminum part. I use the groove in the wheel to round the edges as described in section 5B of the plans.

I remove any small scratches using a maroon Scotchbrite pad. This last step gives a nice satin finish and the part is ready for prep/priming.

About five minutes per side of a long part like the 609PP gets it done.

I also have a 1" Delta strip sander that does a great job removing tooling marks, but you can do the job without it using the hand method described above.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I was being a little over concerned. I continued working the reinforcement bars and they are looking pretty good. Gad, this is fun! It is so nice to have a 2 days in a row with nothing to do but work on the emp.

Back