What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hopefully a good decision

Dave Taylor

Well Known Member
Today was a monumental day for me. I ordered my fuselage kit. I no longer have to decide between nosewheel or tailwheel, tip-up or slider. I was a bit hesitant since it took me so long to complete the empennage. But I have two great friends who I believe will push me along and have had their own obstacles. Bruce Sacks finished his RV-9 in a one car garage (great organization on his part) and Tony Patti is getting close to finishing his RV-8A while having to move to a different state and changing jobs during the build. We all have obstacles that get in the way of our passion. My obstacles have been finishing college and being an active military reservist. I'll finish my bachelor's degree in July after more than 20 years of off and on attendance and I will retire from the military, after 20 years of service, in July 2010 so hopefully my build time will increase. We all have obstacles that get in our way and I can only hope that I can keep the tenacity with the build as I have done with the other things in my life. Oh yeah, I forgot I have 3 kids and I wife which keep me busy as well. I ordered my tail kit when my daughter was 2 weeks old and I finished it last weekend minus the fiberglass. Pictures are below.

Here is a picture of Tabetha when I received my tail kit
IMG_1559.jpg

I finally finished the empennage. Wow has she grown.
IMG_2088.jpg

Excellent choice made...

I'm sure that you agonized over your decision for endless evenings as you continued work on the empennage.

Hmmm... Tricycles are so much easier to taxi, but they're kind of like wearing argyle socks and pressed blue jeans. Just not as cool as a tailwheel. Now that's sexy! All the women will flock around you as you nonchalantly taxi in to the tie-down! Young girls will swoon, and mothers will hold their babies for you to kiss. The Cessna drivers will all look on with a look of envy as you wave and smile to the masses...

BTW, are you building a slider or a tip-up?:D

David,
She'll be a great help to rivet the inside rear of the fuselage.
You need to teach her how to buck a good rivet now :D
Best of luck and good choice!

Wonderful photographs Dave! You did not have to say a word as the two pictures perfectly sum up what so many builders have experienced. Tabetha is a little cutie and before you know it she will be a young lady sitting in the right seat of the airplane you built, wearing her headsets as she smiles for the camera and blurts out "Hurry up Daddy!" :)

The adventure begins. Best of luck. You are a fortunate fellow.

If I'm lucky

David,
She'll be a great help to rivet the inside rear of the fuselage.
You need to teach her how to buck a good rivet now :D
Best of luck and good choice!

At my rate when I actually get to the fuselage she'll be off to college :)

Thanks for the well wishes.

Thanks

Wonderful photographs Dave! You did not have to say a word as the two pictures perfectly sum up what so many builders have experienced. Tabetha is a little cutie and before you know it she will be a young lady sitting in the right seat of the airplane you built, wearing her headsets as she smiles for the camera and blurts out "Hurry up Daddy!" :)

The adventure begins. Best of luck. You are a fortunate fellow.

Thanks Rick. I'm looking forward to making good progress. Especially after this summer when I finish school. It's been a long time coming. I'm sure there are many others out there who have had the same issues as myself. I'm sure many felt they couldn't do it. I intend to keep pressing on.

She truly is a sweetheart. I'll post another update of her and the plane when I finish the wings.

David,

It looks like you caught up on your sleep between those two pictures.

Good luck with the rest of the kit.

Dave,
I'm really happy for you just because you are a good guy and a great friend. :) Of course it was a great decision and you know I got your back through the entire build.

I'll help, too. As long as you don't expect me to drop a bucking bar on my head just to make us even! :eek:

Back