What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hooker Harness

paul330

Well Known Member
Anyone considering ordering a harness from Hooker should be aware of a potential issue.

It seems that all 2-seat RVs and the rear seats of the -10 use 1/4" bolt fitttings for the shoulder harnesses and that is what is supplied as standard by Hooker. However, the front shoulder harness on the -10 is fittted to a 5/16" structural c/s screw passed through a hard-point in the canopy. Scott at Hooker said he had never had this queried.

It seems to me that the 5/16" fitting is there for a reason, namely bearing area on the fibreglass to provide the required strength. I don't think that fitting a 1/4" screw here is a viable option as it may pull through in a crash.

Not a complaint or criticism - Scott sent me larger lugs without a problem and the quality, look and finish of the harnesses is great. However, if you intend to order it may be necessary to make it perfectly clear what you want, to avoid any unnecessary hassles. Guess that's true for any other manufacturer as well.

No issues with mine

I ordered a complete set from Hooker for my -10 and everything fit up just fine with what they sent, no special request or difference sizes front/back. Not sure what the difference might have been to what you received.

I ordered a complete set from Hooker for my -10 and everything fit up just fine with what they sent, no special request or difference sizes front/back. Not sure what the difference might have been to what you received.

So your front shoulder harness came with the same lugs as fitted to the lap-straps?

Yes, but...

Yes, I believe they did. I seem to recall when making the bushings that everything was the same, front/back/lap/shoulder, and I just needed to adjust for the 2 different bolt sizes. But, I also have the intertial reel shoulder harness up front, so that may be different (although can't imagine why).

I can double check for you on Friday when I'm back at the hangar again.

Dwight

Hmmm.

The back seat uses a 1/4" bolt and calls for a bushing through a larger hole. However, because of the cable, I can see why that is not necessary and a straight bolt through a 1/4" lug is fine. Front shoulder harness is a different matter. However, if you used the inertia reel then you have an intermediate fitting which may have solved the problem.

Not sure what went on but the bottom line is I am happy with what I have ended up with and Hooker have been helpful with solving my concerns. Just a minor hassle.

Think it's still off...

Not sure I understood your comments, but I used bushings in all of my fittings, even the intertial reel (which technically didn't need, but the hole was bigger than the bolt I believe). I'll double-check tomorrow.

Dwight

Back