What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Honeywell Oil Pressure Sensor

Peterk

Well Known Member
I have stated on here that I moved my oil pressure sensor to the firewall to reduce the "jumpies" on my Dynon reading. It does work. Originally I had thought maybe it was a result of vibrations near the gearbox but have had more knowledgable friends tell me it is most likely reduced because of the dampening effect of the long hose. Additionally, its hard to believe that Rotax engineers would place it there if vibration was likely to be an issue. After all, it is a $400 solid state part. Whatever, I love my Dynon but sometimes I think it reads too exact and loves to live "in the moment." If I had a steam gauge in there it probably wouldn't move at all.

Was just having second thoughts about insinuating that the Rotax has front end vibration issues. I have 200 hours on my 12 now and it runs great. The entire airplane has been wonderful for that matter. I couldn't be more pleased.

I agree with your observation about "too exact" contributing to worries about fluctuation. Same problem with the digital tachometer, I fiddle with the throttle during run up to get the RPM at exactly 4000. But I don't think it matters, 3970 or 4030 would be satisfactory for me to assess the engine before take off. My old F.I. Citabria had a fuel pressure steam gauge that oscillated so fast it was just a plus-or-minus 20 PSI blur, but it always covered the same range. I'm trying to detune my eyes to look for ranges instead of a values.

Sensor location!

Pete, don't you think that the life of sensor will increase with that new location to?:)

Good observation Pete.

You and I used the Lockwood kit with the fitting with the tiny (.005?) orifice in it right? That would dampen the pulses also. My OP readings have become boring since moving it.

The only thing I can think of is there are many different applications and mountings for the Rotax 912. Some with no firewalls, so I assume Rotax just mounts it on the engine and lets builders / OEM's decide the best location. Mine is on the fire wall for sure!

Pete, don't you think that the life of sensor will increase with that new location to?:)

I hope it does! My only point was I don't have any hard/fast proof that vibration was the cause (or what the cause was for that matter). That's kind of a fast and loose statement on my part and I was trying to back pedal.

I do know that you talked me into doing it and my readings are now rock solid. And as you know, CT has given permission for their SLSA's to be modified as such. I don't know that anyone has a definitive reason but at $400/pop I'm with you.

Back