What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Home for the 4th

60av8tor

Well Known Member
Not a great trip report, but wanted to share all the same. Decided to fly from SC to PA over the holiday to meet my wife who was already in PA for the week visiting her family. I left the morning of the 4th under a moisture saturated haze. With the weather we?ve had the past several weeks, I was thankful to be able to make the flight. I don?t think we?ve had longer than 10 minutes between TSs for weeks!

Poor picture, but cells already scattered at 0730:
1.jpg

Filed IFR and climbed through the low haze at my home base. Poor weather to attempt a VFR CC, but makes for beautiful flying once above the layer:
2.jpg

3.jpg

As I continued and temps increased, so did the buildups:
4.jpg

Nothing major, just a lot of small cells requiring a lot of deviations:
5.jpg

Beginning to break up:
6.jpg

Thought I would be getting a visual, but back to this short of my arrival:
7.jpg

Vectors for the ILS. Geo-referenced plates are like cheating, but I like them!
8.jpg

Was hoping to get an approach closer to minimums, but began to break out shortly after the FAF:
9.jpg

Testing out the latest SV update that included VNAV with the fully coupled ILS. Like the plates, almost like cheating, but just an amazing capability:
10.png

Beautiful morning for the return trip; albeit with a headwind this time:
11.jpg

Some large cells to the west, but thankfully nothing in my route of flight today:
12.jpg

Since the elevation in my area is 45’, I had to take a pic of the ‘mountains’. The beautiful Shenandoah Valley:
13.jpg

I filed to stay at the top of the broken layer. While constantly going in and out of the clouds can be extremely tedious after a while, skimming the tops never gets old. Hopefully the video below will link:

Truly an amazing aircraft that changes your perception of space and time!

I enjoyed the trip report - and especially the shot of the Shenandoah Valley. When I saw the photo I thought I recognized it.

Back