What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

hole in fuselage

jmurph

I'm New Here
While installing my upper gear leg fairings on my -10 today I noticed a hole In the fuselage approximately six inches ahead of the fairing. Where the side skin meets the bottom skin. This was a Q-build. Am i missing something or is it left open.

Could it be a drain hole?

If there is no use for it, dimple it and stick a rivet in there.

Wrong forum

Suggest you [or a moderator] move this thread to the RV10 forum. Otherwise, any and all info gleaned will be deleted in 30 days.
Charlie

......................[ed. Moved to RV-10 forum. dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
hole in fuselagc

don't really know how to move thread. would like to. thh hole is actually about 1 inch square and made by the intersection of the skins

Call me silly if you want to - but I have left it open.
Why - I just thought it might be good to get a little bit of fresh air in there to stop a build up of fuel fumes under the seats and in the tunnel, should a fuel leak develop in the tunnel.

Me silly too

But, I think that hole is where the fuel smell on landing comes in???
So far I have left that hole open but the fuel smell on landing that has been discussed in another thread is probably entering through the openings especially that hole which is nearest the vent opening.
I am still guessing on that one.
I am going to close it with pro seal.
Although I am having too much fun flying right now, I hava a small reversed
NACA like scoop to go over a small hole on the bottom of the tunnel to evacuate air, heat, or fuel vapors if any should develop.
So far, the tunnel is cool and no reason to add anything too it.

Fuel exits vent tube, streams to rear of wing and enters large opening where the flap linkage is located. The negative pressure inside the cabin pulls fumes through wing spar and aileron pushrod linkage openings. That is the reason I used Abby's pushrod boot and taped(foil) off spar openings. Fuel vent could also be moved inboard 8"+ to alleviate the problem. Drifted a little...oops.

About that hole, fill it to help prevent corrosion.

Back