What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hole Diameter

Jim P

Well Known Member
My RV is at the airport and I need to get the interior hole diameter on the center fuselage ribs where the aileron push-rod passes. Specifically, the ourboard ribs at the wing root. Can someone measure that post? I know these are not 100% round as there is a flat spot.

Thanks,

Jim

If this is for the aileron tube socks, I'm using a diameter of 5" for the rings. The seat ribs have a big old flute (or whatever you call it) right around that hole. The outside diameter of that flute is 5". I'm using 5-3/4" for the outside diameter.

The only way I can think to easily make those rings is to use the fly cutter for the inside 5" hole and then use band saw/tin snips/belt sander/Scotchbrite wheel for the outside of the ring. Already tried using the fly cutter to cut inside and then outside of the ring and ended up with some nicely bent metal. The ring is just too narrow to cut without it getting mangled.

Thanks Dave. I was just going to cut through the plate and use a bandsaw to cut the inside. A couple close-spaced nutplates should secure them.

Back