What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hoffman HO - V123k Propellor

WardC1020

I have 65 TTSN hours on this plane, engine , prop, RV 4, IO 360 AV engine. Inherited with the project . As I advance the throttle to almost full forward, just at lift off the engine or prop surges. It droops off for a second, comes right back and we go fly. It does not do it in the air. Have not slammed the throttle forward in the air or on the ground. Things are happening fast at this point so I can't tell you what the tach is doing. The guys who have been working with me are convinced it's the prop. One of the guys is a experienced RVer. He has a few TO/Landings in it as well and confirms it's the prop. We have replaced the governor, gone through the fuel system. If it is the prop I am looking for suggestions on 3 bladed prop. Any other ideas out there? Thanks in advance, I have done a lot of reading, have not contributed. My dues is paid. Ward Combs. 402 871 0039.

Props do what the governor tells them to do. Having spent the last year working with a number of props and governors, your sounds exactly like a governor problem. Did it just start doing this? Always done it? Have you done any fine pitch stop adjustment? I don't know anything about this prop and you did not mention your governor.

Last edited:
This is the second governor. I can't remember, believe the current one has bigger or stronger springs in it. It is a MT governor. It surged from the very first flight. I just ignored it wanting it all to work out. The dealer or distributor has washed their hand with the German factory. I don't believe there is any support in the states at this time.

Do you have the prop manual and does it tell you how to adjust the fine\low pitch stop? If it does, then you should try that first.

HO - V 123

Yes I have the manual, reading it now. Will do this before we go any further. Thank you. It could be a week, will keep you posted.

Back