What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hobbs display

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Is there a way to move the Hobbs reading from its curent location to a spot on one of the two primary split-screen displays. I'd even replace the clock display with the Hobbs reading if that was the only way-- and if I could find out how to do it.

Thanks!!

Wayne 120241

Timers

Wayne,
Why do you want the Hobbs time to show on the main page? I ask because if you only want to keep track of the time since takeoff, there is a trip timer that will display on the EFIS screen in the lower left corner. There is also a flight timer that will tell you how long you have been flying, but that is on anther page. The Hobbs timer is useful for scheduling oil changes or engine maintenance, but I do not believe there is a way to have it displayed on the main page.
Joe

A Hobbs meter is a true life history of the aircraft. It should be a "HOBBS" meter located somewhere on the airframe. It will cost about $50.00 and will be there when the panel has been changed over time. A true hobbs meter will read the hours up to failure. And then you log the hours that you installed the new one.

Wayne,
Why do you want the Hobbs time to show on the main page? I ask because if you only want to keep track of the time since takeoff, there is a trip timer that will display on the EFIS screen in the lower left corner. There is also a flight timer that will tell you how long you have been flying, but that is on anther page. The Hobbs timer is useful for scheduling oil changes or engine maintenance, but I do not believe there is a way to have it displayed on the main page.
Joe

In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the trip timer doesn't kick in until the speed tape comes alive giving a real "flight time" as opposed to Hobbs (engine) time. Correct me if I'm wrong Joe, I haven't read the book in awhile. And of course you don't need to record flight time for anything other than a particular FAA requirement (BFR etc).

Timers

In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the trip timer doesn't kick in until the speed tape comes alive giving a real "flight time" as opposed to Hobbs (engine) time. Correct me if I'm wrong Joe, I haven't read the book in awhile. And of course you don't need to record flight time for anything other than a particular FAA requirement (BFR etc).
Actually there are 3 separate timers, the TRIP timer, the FLIGHT timer, and the Hobbs meter.
The TRIP timer will work anytime, even parked in the hanger. It requires manual starting and stopping and resetting.
The FLIGHT timer doesn't kick in until the speed tape comes alive. The FLIGHT timer is automatic and does not need to be manually started.
Joe

From the manual

Mine works like this ---just as the manual describes.

The Times Page is divided into three sections: TIME, TIMERS, and ENGINE TIMERS.
?
The TIME section shows the present time (both local and Zulu) and can be displayed in either standard or military time formats.
?
The Flight Timer shows the total amount of time that oil pressure is above 15 PSI since the FlightDEK-D180 was turned on; it does not reset until the next time the FlightDEK-D180 is power-cycled and oil pressure reaches 15 PSI. The Trip Timer shows cumulative flight time since a manual reset. The third line of this section contains the general purpose Timer which can be used for a variety of functions including a tank timer.
?
The Tach Timer keeps track of engine time (normalized to the user-configured cruise RPM). The Hobbs Timer records the duration of time engine oil pressure is at 15 PSI or higher.
When ENGINE TYPE is set to ROTAX (in EMS > SETUP > GLOBAL), only Hobbs time is displayed in the ENGINE TIMERS section; Tach time is not displayed, due to specific manufacturer recommendation.
Refer to the EMS Operation section on page 10-3 for instructions on adjusting clock and timer settings.

When ENGINE TYPE is set to ROTAX (in EMS > SETUP > GLOBAL), only Hobbs time is displayed in the ENGINE TIMERS section; Tach time is not displayed, due to specific manufacturer recommendation.
Refer to the EMS Operation section on page 10-3 for instructions on adjusting clock and timer settings.

Actually, I think you have this reversed.
I think it defaults to tach. time. Rotax specifys that tach. time be used for measuring all maintenance intervals.

?
The Tach Timer keeps track of engine time (normalized to the user-configured cruise RPM). The Hobbs Timer records the duration of time engine oil pressure is at 15 PSI or higher.

Actually, I think you have this reversed.
I think it defaults to tach. time. Rotax specifys that tach. time be used for measuring all maintenance intervals.

The original quote was cut/pasted from Dynon Manual. My 180 only displays Hobbs hours.

Hobbs/Tach time

I guess what I should have said is "A D-180 using the lock file for the RV-12 records total time as tach time".

Scott I am running the Vans supplied D180 with the locked file(Ver 5.1 and 5.3) and it does display Hobbs time. Not arguing with you, just stating facts.

Scott I am running the Vans supplied D180 with the locked file(Ver 5.1 and 5.3) and it does display Hobbs time. Not arguing with you, just stating facts.

Sorry Michael (and everyone else if I caused any confusion). You are correct. I got it turned around backwards and should have confirmed before posting.

Rotax requires all maint. to be done relative to Hobbs time. They do not consider low RPM or idle operations to have a lower impact on the engine such that it would allow for extending the maint. interval which would be done if traditional tach time computations were used. Idle operation is actual more of an issue in regards to gear box longevity than running at high power.

I upgraded to 5.4 on Sat. and lost a number of things including the Hobbs total. After upgrade it read zero. Can it be reset to what it was, and if so, how?
Thanks
Dick Seiders

reset hobbs

Yes, I did it with Jetguy the other day. I'll let John know and he should be able to post the fix. Dynon is aware of the problem and is working on a fix.

Changing Hobbs time!

Resetting Hobbs Time:
Bring up the EMS page on the right Side of the Dynon.
Push the second button from the right.
Press MORE until you see SETUP
Press SETUP, Then Press GLOBAL
Page Down until you see HOBBS
Then Press SEL and follow direction and insert the correct time. You may have to do this twice.
John
RV12 N1212K

Hobbs Time Reset

On my newly aquired RV-12 when the Dynon 180 update was done, in late 2012, to Version 5.4, the Hobbs reset to zero. For some reason my SETUP does not show a GLOBAL choice. Was that option removed in Ver. 5.4? I'd like to reset the Hobbs to the current TT. Suggestions?

Thanks,

John

Last edited:
I have yet to receive my avionics from Vans. But from what I am reading, is it fair to assume that the only Hobbs meter is located electronically, within the Skyview (on the latest avionics)? In other words there isn't a mechanical/standard black one, like seen in the common steam gauge plane?

Just wondering out loud. Thanks.

Don't know about the Skyview, but the FliteDEK-180 just shows the electronic Hobbs that is, from what I understand, triggered when the oil pressure reaches 15 psi.

No traditional Hobbs

I have yet to receive my avionics from Vans. But from what I am reading, is it fair to assume that the only Hobbs meter is located electronically, within the Skyview (on the latest avionics)? In other words there isn't a mechanical/standard black one, like seen in the common steam gauge plane?

Just wondering out loud. Thanks.

Correct - there is no hardware Hobbs meter included in the RV12 kits either D180 or Skyview panels, only the software Hobbs.

Tony

Back