What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hmm . . .where next?

rjcthree

Well Known Member
I'm stuck. QB fuse. Everything but the forward deck is drilled(and even that is clecko'd down, drilling tonight, I think). Drilled, riveted where possible, BUT NO SYSTEMS INSTALLED. No fuel, electrical, static. Interior not painted. Emp is temp mounted, waiting on FG. Not on gear.

Do I launch into the finishing kit? Build the engine? Do systems/panel? Paint interior? Putz with little stuff(paint pushrods, <1 hr tasks)

WHAT?!?

Thoughts?

Rick 90432
Wings closed. Emp mounted, FG done. :confused:

I would get the front deck all prepped and ready to go then get started on the canopy. You can use those other <1hr items as things to work on while your taking a breather from the canopy. Takes almost a day to debur, dimple and finish the edges of all that forward deck stuff.

Getting everything you can layed out and installed on the firewall is another rewarding job. Battery box, brake res., master and starter relays, heat selector, recess installed, etc.

Fuel and vent lines are another task that need to be completed at some point.

As long as your working toward the end goal without backing yourself into a place where you must backtrack, you can't go wrong at this stage. Tons to do so do something and the list will get shorter and shorter.

With a QB-7, I found myself, "two-blocked" a few times. Following along in the manual kinda works but is easy to skip a critical step. I was jumping around, thinking ok this needs done or that over there could be riveted. WRONG. Follow through the manual, as close as possible. Also check out other builders site to see the order they completed stuff for guidance.

Here's a little example>
I started at the tail and tried moving forward. Tail mounted, then put in wire runs for taillight/strobe...ok where am I mounting the strobe pak...Dang shouldn't have riveted the floors down, it would've been nice to run some conduit under there...oops also missed the note about putting the rivet in the step locator hole....well lets run do the static system, alright that's looks good...darn hose keeps getting in the way, while working on the roll bar. Let's see fuel vents, ok done, too bad I had to remove them to install the fuel tank attach brackets.......

could be I'm just unorganized enough to be my worst enemy.

As far as putzing with the little <1hr jobs, they all need done sooner or later. I do them when I'm waiting for parts.

Whoa down there buddy, sounds like you have a lot to do. I'm building a quick build myself. In the beginning of fuse work I called Vans to find out from them what they thought a good order of procedure would be. I think I talked to Ken who told me to start on the bottom behind the baggage area and work forward along the bottom and up and back from the firewall. That advice has turned out to be right on. That skin your wanting to rivet on should be left off as long as you can since when setting up instruments it being off allows access to that area from the top. I'm building a tip up and it does make a difference even with the better access to the back of the panel. Do as much interior work as you can.

wires.jpg

Maybe clarifying the question . . .

Ok, I've digested what feedback I've gotten so far.

Simplifying the question:

When should electrical/pitot/static/fuel/controls/panel systems installation begin?

I've got open front deck, unpainted interior, open baggage area (nutplated floor). My engine is not built yet. Wings have not been mounted. Tail is mounted. Not on gear yet.

My plan would be to paint interior really soon, then start systems installations.

Thoughts please.

Rick 90432

Rick,

You sound like you just about have it down.

Once the interior is painted you can start on the rudder pedals and fuel lines.

I found it best to bend the vent lines, cap them with masking tape to keep the critters out, and then just leave them laying in place. You don't need to clamp them down or connect them as they will have to be moved out of the way when riveting that top skin on in the days before you move to the airport. However, it is near impossible to put them in place once you have the instrument panel, wiring, etc. in place. Just leave them in there flopping around after the rudder pedals are in.

You can start running wires for your tail light, install the strobe pack and ELT and run those wires forward. Just leave a lot of extra wire for routing them once you get the panel in place.

One suggestion, glue zip-tie pads every six inches to the floor of the plane to hold the wires off the aluminum. (Do not rely on the self stick pad, peal that off and used automotive trim adhesive from Goop. It will hold up to the heat in the summer.)

One other thing, as you install systems think about future maintenance. Put all screw/bolt heads pointing down. In my case I used a 8-32 cap screws in place of the 8-32 Phillips screws as it is easier to get an Allen wrench on them than a screwdriver. Better yet, buy a set of these from Sears for around $20.

Last edited:
Back