What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hints - if you're considering G3X option

Rick_A

Well Known Member
If you're thinking about installing the G3X touch I've got a couple of hints for you.

1. If you're still working on the Empennage, you will install a new longer static line that goes forward to the baggage bulkhead area. The short line that goes to the ADHAHRS mount area will be removed & replaced.

2. You're going to route 2 more wires back to the Pitch Servo connector (the one under the pilot seat). So keep that in mind while you're doing the fuselage wiring.

3. Don't install the all nut plates on the lower flange of the panel base. There is a doubler that is installed on the lower flange. If you're doing a single screen, all the bottom nutplates that attach Left Panel section are installed after the doubler is installed. If you're thinking about Dual screens, the same applies to the right side. I believe it is 7 nutplates per side.

4. There is an option in the plans to install a nutplate that is used to attach the screw that hold the Adel clamp that goes next to the Left side CPU fan. Don't install the nutplate. The screw hole is enlarged to accept an AN3 bolt that is used on a larger Adel clamp.

G3X dual install

Thanks for your info,Rick
I'm installing a dual G3x,A/P,GMc-305 a/p controller with a new center pnl. sheet metal with the GMC-305 cutout. I'm adding a SL-30 above the GMC-305 to have VOR/ILS plus a second com. My a/c will have a Viking engine w/3 blade whilewind prop. I'm using dual Lithium battery,s which will be mounted on the pilots side of the firewall where the old glove box was.

Garmin GSA 28 Servo ?

Thanks Rick

I also will be installing duel G3X screens

See http://www.joesrv12.com/Builder Log/avionics_kit _01.htm

Can you tell me if the servo tray I installed will work with Garmin GSA 28 Servos.

Thanks

Joe D

If you're thinking about installing the G3X touch I've got a couple of hints for you.

1. If you're still working on the Empennage, you will install a new longer static line that goes forward to the baggage bulkhead area. The short line that goes to the ADHAHRS mount area will be removed & replaced.

2. You're going to route 2 more wires back to the Pitch Servo connector (the one under the pilot seat). So keep that in mind while you're doing the fuselage wiring.

3. Don't install the all nut plates on the lower flange of the panel base. There is a doubler that is installed on the lower flange. If you're doing a single screen, all the bottom nutplates that attach Left Panel section are installed after the doubler is installed. If you're thinking about Dual screens, the same applies to the right side. I believe it is 7 nutplates per side.

4. There is an option in the plans to install a nutplate that is used to attach the screw that hold the Adel clamp that goes next to the Left side CPU fan. Don't install the nutplate. The screw hole is enlarged to accept an AN3 bolt that is used on a larger Adel clamp.

Garmin AP Servo mount

There are a couple of minor modifications that need to be made to Skyview AP mounts. Vans provides a template that you bolt to the Pitch Servo mount that acts as a trim guide. Access was a bit tight but it didn't take long using a rotary file & sanding drum on a die grinder.

You also have to trim a little bit off one of the attach angles on the roll servo mount to provide clearance for the servo capstan. I've not attached my empennage yet, so this was very easy.

Servo Template

Thanks Rick

I will call vans and order the template and the Servos.

Joe D

There are a couple of minor modifications that need to be made to Skyview AP mounts. Vans provides a template that you bolt to the Pitch Servo mount that acts as a trim guide. Access was a bit tight but it didn't take long using a rotary file & sanding drum on a die grinder.

You also have to trim a little bit off one of the attach angles on the roll servo mount to provide clearance for the servo capstan. I've not attached my empennage yet, so this was very easy.

Back