What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hints for a cheater?

Deven said:
I skimmed through the drawings

Yeah drawings, that's a good one :D . The plans have very little to say regarding seat construction. My seat pan started life as a big block of foam that I carved down to the shape and size I wanted and then fiberglassed. I covered the top surface with tempur foam and upholstered the whole deal. I see no reason why you couldn't build a seat of any height that suits you.

I suggest you read p8-12 in the preview plansfirst at the heading 'Extra Tall Pilots'. It will set you off in the right direction.

height...

So how tall are you? I'm 5'11" and wondering if a "4" will fit. Wife is about 5'6", that ok for the rear seat you think?

Thanks

Funny

I'm 5'8" (and a half)...Back in the UK I was relatively tall...Seems to me most of my friends tower over me...How in the world do y'all fit in yer airplanes over here?...:)

Frank

Size

I'm 5 11 as well, the problem I had was buying a flying 4 from the builder who was a bit shorter. The back seat shouldn't be a problem for shorter fun flights but I'm not sure anyone would want to sit back there for 8 hrs or something. I think the 4 is more suited for fun stuff within say 4 hours or so and the 8 would be a better choice or even a side by side if your wanting more of a x-c airplane. Enjoy either way and let us know which way you go. If your near Colorado come by for a look/flight.

d

Thanks for the info. I guess you have to "try one on" to see if it was built for a taller person(seat). The RV-4 s that are out there are more reasonably priced ... very tempting. I recently had a ride in a Sonex and it was cozy but not uncomfortable hence I'm thinkin' a 4 might be ok.
BTW, most of my relations in the UK are fairly tall ;)

Dave

Back