What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hinge wire coming loose

BABALU

Well Known Member
Any suggestions for the best way to secure piano hinge wire at upper cowl / firewall area? Mine has been working its way loose, a couple of inches , each flight. I always check it and push it back in but it needs to be secured properly . I have plenty of ideas but I'm sure someone on the forum has the best one.
Thanks ,
Andy

My way

Don't know if it's the best way to do it, but I put a 90 in one pin and bent a little eyelet into the other pin, then I interlock them so they can't back out. It's a little tricky threading the L into the eyelet with one hand but it get gets easier once you do it a few times. John

I layed up a thick fiberglass block on the upper cowl then slotted the bottom so the wire is sprung to seat in the groove. When I slide the pin in, the bend part pops into the groove.

v6ncip.jpg

Here is what I did. Rivet a smal length of angle on the firewall. It has two "L" shaped slots in each end to capture the hinge pins.
IMG_3004-M.jpg

IMG_3233-M.jpg

Thanks for the input and great suggestions . I think I might try Bruce's setup
It's seems fail proof and easy enough to do.

Thanks again.
Andy

I would suggest using screws or Camlocs. If you keep the plane for any length of time, the ease of using either of these will become very apparent after getting the piano hinge in and out a few times. I've had it both ways on 3 RV6'S and that's why we are doing Camlocs on our new RV14A.

Hinges

I would suggest using screws or Camlocs. If you keep the plane for any length of time, the ease of using either of these will become very apparent after getting the piano hinge in and out a few times. I've had it both ways on 3 RV6'S and that's why we are doing Camlocs on our new RV14A.

I beg to differ. I have 530 hours on my RV-8 and I would not hesitate to use the hinges again. Removing and installing the cowling is quick and easy, the hinges are light weight, and they are very clean in appearance.

Skylor

Last edited:
Yea I'm happy with the hinge pins too, it's seems they also help reduce the cowl
Pucker , I don't know how else to describe it, but you can see while in flight the cowl has a tendency to bulge up at firewall attach point. They are quick and easy to remove also.

I love the hinges. On and off in 5 min. Clean look. I do take time to apply Boelube when I can....... By the way, I had to put my FG pin slots on the cowl because my oil separator is mounted in the spot on the firewall.

Back