What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hinge Alignment Tool

DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
Had this out of the toolbox and didn't recall anyone ever mentioning one. Easy to make and very handy. All you need is an old screwdriver with a 0.1875" shank. Grind a point, warm it with a propane torch, bend in the vice.

Use it to hold one end of a surface while starting a bolt in the other. The pointy tip makes it easy to feel how much a rod end needs to be screwed in or out for alignment.

Attachments

• Hinge Alignment Tool.jpg
    Hinge Alignment Tool.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 188
  • Hinge Alignment Tool2.jpg
    Hinge Alignment Tool2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 228
Another Hinge Pin Alignment/Installation Tool

This is a DIY tool I made to simultaneously align & install hinge pins - either temporary or permanent.

The end of the "body" is slotted allowing the tool to be pulled off the head of the pin after installation. A bit of a springbuck allowance is required on the over running top piece to insure retention of the pin during alignment.

I don't think this idea is in any way new - just my interpretation.

HFS

Attachments

• EZ-INSTALL .jpg
    EZ-INSTALL .jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 170
For the cheap cheap version - I used a 16d framing nail hammered over in the vise. No tools where harmed in the process. :D

Avery Tools used to make a set of really slick hinge pin tools that would allow you to unthread the pin from the handle. I found them very handy since you can remove the handles and check the control surface travel without bashing up the skins. Not sure if anyone still makes these, but they wouldn't be too hard to fabricate in the shop.

Picture found via google:

HingeTool.jpg

Avery Tools used to make a set of really slick hinge pin tools that would allow you to unthread the pin from the handle. I found them very handy since you can remove the handles and check the control surface travel without bashing up the skins. Not sure if anyone still makes these, but they wouldn't be too hard to fabricate in the shop.

HingeTool.jpg

Great tool. I bought a set when I built my 7A and used them many time. I still use them occasionally.

I used the left over hex keys from the IKEA furniture assemblies as holders for the hinges. I also bent the left over piano wire segments at right angle for the same purpose.

HingeTool.jpg

For those who would like to buy a set, I purchased mine from Aircraft Spruce: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/tempasspin.php

_Alex

Tools

Perfect, I was hoping these were still available but my search skills failed me. Thanks for the link.

To me these are in the same category as washer wrenches: no you don't strictly need them, but there are certain times when you're really glad you have them.

Great. Like I need an excuse to buy more tools! Actually that's pretty cool and just at the right time. Thx

20221221_120547.jpg

Or if you need an excuse to go to HF. Pick up one of these kits. You can get three. One to use, and two to loose. Handy tool for many task.

Or you can buy one

All the big tool guys sell "Cotter Key Extractors" that is almost the same. Been using mine for 40 years....

for a cheaper version, I picked up a 4 foot section of 3/16 rod from Home Depto and made 4 of them for both elevators and another set for friends.

Back