What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Higher speed (Vfe) for partial flaps extension?

skirting_virga

Patron
New RV-8A owner here, and not the original builder. I can't help but notice that many planes specify higher speeds for partial flap extension, which in some cases are very high indeed. For example, a 172RG placards Vfe as 130/100kts for 10°/30°, and 182s are usually 140/95kts for 10°/30-40°. For most RVs (except the 9 and 14) the approved speeds are 87kts and I haven't seen any distinction for partial or full flap extension. Considering how fast RVs can go compared with the aforementioned Cessna singles, these speeds seem very low indeed.

Has Vans published anything about a higher allowable speed for partial flaps? If not, has anyone determined through testing that a higher speed would be acceptable for partial flaps? What is likely to be the limiting component? Hinges? Brackets? Actuator linkage?

Typical rule-of-thumb, it has been published Vfe +10 mph for partial flaps. At least that's for the -3, -4, and -6. I would assume the same or similar for other models.

Typical rule-of-thumb, it has been published Vfe +10 mph for partial flaps. At least that's for the -3, -4, and -6. I would assume the same or similar for other models.
Same for my 7A. 85 KIAS for flaps full, 95 KIAS for flaps half.

New RV-8A owner here, and not the original builder. I can't help but notice that many planes specify higher speeds for partial flap extension, which in some cases are very high indeed. For example, a 172RG placards Vfe as 130/100kts for 10°/30°, and 182s are usually 140/95kts for 10°/30-40°. For most RVs (except the 9 and 14) the approved speeds are 87kts and I haven't seen any distinction for partial or full flap extension. Considering how fast RVs can go compared with the aforementioned Cessna singles, these speeds seem very low indeed.

Has Vans published anything about a higher allowable speed for partial flaps? If not, has anyone determined through testing that a higher speed would be acceptable for partial flaps? What is likely to be the limiting component? Hinges? Brackets? Actuator linkage?
Flap speeds are listed at the end of Section 15 in the manual.

Back