What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

High EGT

I would think a burnt, or stuck exhaust valve might do it.

Is the CHT normal on that same cyl???

did you try switching the probes around to see if the problem follows the probe??

Odds are Bad EGT probe.

The odds are bad EGT probe the Thermocouples used for that service usually go to 1600 F when they fail. The probe is where I would start with troubleshooting.

We got the high EGT alarm several times. Temps would go from normal to high alarm for several minutes then go back to normal. All other temps were good. Redid the elec. connection and problem went away.

Jim Olson
Blairsville, GA
RV-12. 120141, N126BJ

EGT Jigh Temp

The EGT went high for about 30 sec and then returned to normal. CHT stayed normal.

Would a stuck valve on a 20 hour new engine do this"

Roger

Check Fittings

Roger, I had some intermittant very-high EGTs on the RV12/Dynon 180. Dynon Forum suggested checking the male-female fittings up there by the fuel manifold. I put a little dielectric grease on 'em and really jammed them together with two pair of needle-nose pliers. Normal readings since.

Jim
RV12 #264
Way too windy to fly this kite today.

Ditto

I too have had the same problem twice now. In fact, things can be normal for several hours and then suddenly, readings become erratic. Given how erratic they are and the fact that all other engine indications were normal, it was clear that the EGT was not accurate. In fact, mine sometimes fluctated to a negative value! My spade connectors were crimped using a very high quality crimping tool but I still discovered that it appeared to be a issue at the crimp (after replacing a probe, only to find it was probably ok). I have found it is critical to very carefully strip the insulation on these wires, making sure that the non-metallic strands (the ones that look to be silk) are carefully cut away. Then mark the wire to make certain that the insertion in the spade is absolutely correct during crimping

Jeff

Back