What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

high CHT cylinder #1

amekler

Well Known Member
Patron
I have a mattituck TMX IO540 and after takeoff in the climb see CHT on cylinder #1 of 400-405 degrees. The other cylinders stay 360-380. The CHT only stays over 400 for a couple of minutes. Should I be concerned? Is there a away to get more air to cool cylinder # 1.
In cruise all CHTS run 320-360.
Alan
N668G

How many hours since overhaul? During breakin the CHTs will run hot. I removed both the air dams and took care of the front two cylinders running warm.

Remove the dam at the front and cut down the one in front of C2. Most likely the cause.

Also check that you are not getting he mixture cable pulling back off the stop. This is a known issue and when the engine pulls forward on the mounts the cable gets pulled and the bracket flexes but if at the limit of the cable it will slightly lean the mixture. Some will lean out enough to do this, and you will see a higher egt associated with it.

Intake gasket leaks will do the same.

You might want to try putting a washer or two between the angle at the top of the intake ramp where the baffle bolts to cylinder #1, and the cylinder. This leaves a small gap between the baffle and the cylinder, allowing airflow down the front of the fins on #1.

Worked for me....

engine has about 250 hrs on it.
cht only high on cylinder # 1
does not go over 400 if i climb out at higher airspeed.
alan

higher speed than what?

I climb out at 120IAS to whatever I want and the CHT never goes over about 370.

Has this only just started happening?

Need more data.

I suffer the same issues, except mine is the #6 CHT. I have no issues when single pilot but when fully loaded with three women and their maxed luggage I hit 400f plus on the #5 and 6. Truthfully, Lycoming told me anything below 435F on takeoff is quite fine. For the short time you see this I wouldnt worry about it. I used to lose sleep over this, I'm over it..

i usually see at at climb out at 100-110 knots and on warm days. if i cruise climb at 120-130 knots it stays below 400.
alan

Back