What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

High Altitude Flapjacks

339A

Well Known Member
Today was forecast to be an absolutely stellar day in Colorado. Praise be to the weather gods as the forecast came true. A flight over the Rocky pile for some high altitude flapjacks was in order. The Leadville airport held its 4th Annual Pancake Breakfast and Fly-In. They have a brand new building which just opened and $4.95 100LL!! Wow, never thought I would think $4.95 fuel was cheap. It is rare to get perfectly smooth air over the rock pile, but today was one of those days. We managed to take in some fall colors along the way...even though most of it has gone by now, it was still a great trip.

A few photos for your viewing pleasure ...

339A on the ramp at Leadville KLXV. A light dusting of snow has already fallen at the higher altitudes.

dsc7300y.jpg

A nice view after filling up with High Altitude 100LL.

dsc73052.jpg

Nice view on the takeoff roll from runway 16. Amazing how much more runway you use when departing from an elevation of 9,934'. The DA was over 12,000'!!

dsc7309b.jpg

A few shots from the trip home. What a Great Day to fly in the Rockies!!

dsc73232.jpg

dsc73402.jpg

dsc73462.jpg

Deb and I had a great trip today. The pancakes were tasty and the scenery was, as always, spectacular.

Regards,

Nice pictures Scott. What a pretty flight from Denver to Leadville. $4.95 for 100ll - that is the same price I paid this afternoon in Aspen for REGULAR GAS, and it has 15% corn juce in it! I got 2 gallons - enough to get down the hill to the cheap - $3.89 regular. Next time you are this way, come on over to GWS. Maybe when Vlad is in town!

Nice! Thanks. I will be there in 10 days I hope the fall colors are still showing.

Vlad,

The colors are fading fast.... you might get lucky and catch some. If you need a place to stay while you're out here we've got an extra room. You're more than welcome to stay with us. Looks like I should be in town the next couple of weeks. :cool:

Great photos, Scott!!

Thanks Pete, just trying to keep up with you, Vlad, and Scott Schmidt... keeps a guy busy ;)

Nice pictures Scott. What a pretty flight from Denver to Leadville. $4.95 for 100ll - that is the same price I paid this afternoon in Aspen for REGULAR GAS, and it has 15% corn juce in it! I got 2 gallons - enough to get down the hill to the cheap - $3.89 regular. Next time you are this way, come on over to GWS. Maybe when Vlad is in town!

I've only been to Aspen once, if ever there was a town with a snobbish attitude it takes the prize. :(
Thinking about a movie night next weekend. Deb wants to have soup, more details later once we decide. :)

Scott, Im coming down Monday evening. Our son's wife just had a baby so she is going to help out for a week or two. Believe it or not, our daughter in law asked her to come! I will be in Denver Tuesday. anything going on in the morning?

Aspen is a "different" place. We lived in Snowmass for 3 years. It was nice because we could ski in and out of our house. It wasn't the real world, so we built outside of Glenwood Springs and Carbondale. We love it here. Fly on over when Vlad comes out. The more the better!

Back