What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

High Altitude Cruise

Sunriver Ken

Well Known Member
Anyone with experience cruising at 17,500 to FL220 in a RV-9A? I have a 9A with 195HP which I am told has a ceiling of over 23,000 but have not tried it yet.

Thanks, Ken

I routinely cruise between 13-17000 (with oxy cannula). Great mileage and smooth sailing in most cases and even better if one finds a tailwind. I have not gone above 18000, but at 17500 (solo) I can still see ~700 fpm climb.

greg

Havingt O2 available seems like a very smart move for all RV-9 drivers. So far I have not heard of having too high an oxygen rating while flying. My experience has been I feel better after a cross-country, even if only at 9,500 if I use O2 at least occassionally.

And yes, IFR rating is usually required at FL180.

Ken

I routinely cruise between 13-17000 (with oxy cannula). Great mileage and smooth sailing in most cases and even better if one finds a tailwind. I have not gone above 18000, but at 17500 (solo) I can still see ~700 fpm climb.

greg

Greg what's your oxygen setup? I remember you discussed it somewhere could you point me to a thread?

Last edited:
Vlad,

Check this thread:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=28412&highlight=oxygen&page=9

Post #87 shows Bob Mills setup in pictures and a list of components. Mine is very similar, though I made some homemade tank brackets, being even cheaper than Bob! The only other difference is that my cannula connectors are mounted on the back side of the roll bar, kind of above the passenger's head so that I can easily reach both connectors from the left seat (and I have a tipup whereas Bob's is a slider).

greg

Last edited:
24,500 ceiling???

So no one has taken the RV-9 to its published 24,500 ft. ceiling? Has anyone gone above FL190?

Well Tom, the Flyin' Tiger is a combination of RV-4 and -8 parts hanging onto a VERY big dual-turbercharged engine. Bruce Bohannon took it to almost 50,000'.

That's gonna' be hard to top. ;)

I've flown my RV-6 at 17,500' on several XC missions and it goes there just fine with plenty of extra climb rate left. Low fuel burn numbers using LOP, higher TAS, and smooth rides are typical there. A friend of mine told me that he's had his IO-360-B1B powered RV-4 to over 28,000' on one occasion as a test. Filed IFR to get there... O2 and cabin heat are mandatory going to these altitudes even in summer.

The one referenced in the article did it with a special O2 system and a waiver to do it non IFR. Also no lightning. He's my neighbor. Was seeking 27k but was only getting 10 fpm climb and was running low on fuel and oxygen.

I regularly cruise at 15,500 or 16,500 to take advantage of winds. Home brew O2 system. D bottle, medical regulator and cannulas. Works great. Spent $105 bucks on everything.

I guess it is an accomplishment, but why?..........

RV-9s??

So how about you 9 drivers? What's the highest you have gone. As I understand it the 9 is supposed to be able to ROUTINELY cruise at a higher altitude than 6,7 or 8's.

Ken, this is on my list of things to do this spring. As noted above, requires oxygen mask above 18k, which is why I haven't done this test yet.

Greg

You gotta be high!

Ken,

I surfed my 150HP wood prop RV4 up to 20,500 back in 97' and nearly froze to death due a very poor heater. It was fun though and I enjoyed a 125 knot winter tailwind with a 250+ knot GS! The 9 has roughly 20% more wing area than an RV4 with a Roncz airfoil optimized for higher altitude cruising. You could easily exceed this in my opinion. As Paul mentioned, Bruce B did reach the high 40's in Flyin Tiger with a Mattituck fire breathing, supercharged IO-540.

As mentioned above, to enter the PCA (above FL180) you have to be IFR. You can however request a block altitude (which I did) and slowly climb above 180 to 180-200. Electronic ignition, fuel injection and slight porpoising once you are above 180 helps. Legally, for longer than 30 minutes over 12,500 you need to be on O2 the entire time. Remember, your time of useful consciousness above 200 w/o O2 is less than four minutes. Know your hypoxia symptoms and descend accordingly.

V/R
Smokey

PS:The highest piston engine record however amazingly is 56,000 feet set in 1938 by an Italian officer flying a supercharged bi-plane! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caproni_Ca.161

Last edited:
Go for It

My 9A has a O-360, electronic ignition, O2 and IFR so when I fly back to Oregon in May I will give it a try. Of course, going from Phoenix to Sunriver, Oregon there are seldom tailwinds so it may have to wait for a more favorable trip. I would love to see 50 knots plus tail wind. Don't we all love high ground speed and calm ride?

Good luck to all,

Hello Ken,

I would like to chat with you about your RV9.

I also winter in AZ - Sun City Grand - and summer in the Portland area.

Thanks, Rich Wetherell (623) 293-8026

ps;today is Sat 5/5/12 and in MX returning home Sunday afternoon

Vlad,

Check this thread:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=28412&highlight=oxygen&page=9
sh I made some homemade tank brackets, being even cheaper than Bob! The only other difference is that my cannula connectors are mounted on the back side of the roll bar, kind of above the passenger's head so that I can easily reach both connectors from the left seat (and I have a tipup whereas Bob's is a slider).

greg

I have a similiar setup as in that thread, although I usually tee off the tank for 2, and run the lines between the seats. I don't use it much living in Florida but always have it available when headed west bound into the high country.

Once you start getting up that high, O2 system failure etc is far too risky IMHO, and for what gain. OK maybe the "I did it" factor.

In practice the 13-17K range is the sweet spot in any RV.

Another issue is temperature.

A guy here .......down here, with an RV10 fitted turbo's and a infamous (not saying who) RV dare devil, took it to a FL in the mid 20's, and a rear window popped out :eek:

So without starting debates on how windows are fitted, you need to also think about temperature affects.

Why bother.........it is a WOFTAM in my opinion. YMMV ;)

Back