What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HID Landing lights

Dayton Murdock

Well Known Member
Hi All

Last night I flew with my Son for his first night flight, it was Magic. The air was smooth; South Lake Tahoe is Beautiful at night. The snow caped mountains outline by the moonlight. Outstanding! The best part was my new Duckworks HID landing lights. When I was on final the runway became illumined by my landing lights! (This is a first in my 20 years of flying!) I was able to land a squeaker at night with my 210 lbs son in the back seat! Defiantly a improvement over my 50w halogen and worth the buy in price.
:)

Dayton, that's nice to hear. I swapped out my old halogens for the HID lights a couple of years ago -- but have yet to fly. Since I never did that much night flying when I was active, it finally occurred to me that maybe it was a waste of money.

Nice to know that they DO make a difference (if I actually do any night flying!):D

Testing image posting

Duckworth HID

2zegtgj.jpg

Our XeVision 50W PAR 46 HID lights up the runway markings from ~600 feet which is 2 miles out, and at 300' (1 mile) the touchdown zone is clearly illuminated. The beam is narrow so you have to get the aiming just right, but it is definately bright.

Back