What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Her Christmas gift/Shelter Cove

Steve Barnes

Well Known Member
I am flying my Girlfriend to Shelter Cove CA for a couple of days in Jan. or Feb. to explore the Lost Coast and enjoy the solitude of an out of the way place.

There are several lodges located above the Beaches. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations or experiences regarding lodging? I think there are only one or two real restaurants there also.

For those of you who have never heard of Shelter Cove, Google Earth it.

Thanks, Steve

Steve,

I've been there a couple times, but only for the day. Reasonable tiedowns at the S end of the runway. Worth doing the black sands beach hike north of town. I suspect you could get a ride up that way (only a mile or so as the RV flies, but a couple miles walk on the roads) from one of the little hotels. I believe there are a few B&Bs there as well. I recall one on the W side of the runway that has spectacular views over the ocean.

There is at least one restaurant I know of at the S end of the runway (don't remember the name), but you should definitely check to see if/when it is open, or you may go hungry.

Should be a good time!

Cheers,
Greg

Another possibility is Sea Ranch. Just a bit south and they have a hotel or house rentals. They also have an airport in the development, but it is a little tricky with the winds. I built a home there many years ago. It is a very interesting place. I haven't been back in about 15 years, so I don't know the condition, but it was always very nice - but $$$

Steve,
You might check the Pilots of America forum. They just had a fly-in there a few months ago. Unfortunately they picked summer to go when it is socked in with fog. But several stayed there a couple days and wrote about it. We like it for lunch a couple times a year. Very nice!

Back