What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with wire

mattsmith

Well Known Member
Need some help with right wire. I am about to mount my AP servo in the wing and want to pre wire as much as possible, so I am in the market for some wire but don't know what kind or how much. I would like to get all the wire needed for the entire plane at once. Dynon 100. 120, garmen 327, 340, 250xl and sl40. Can I run the wing tip lighting wire in the same conduit as the AP wire? What wire can I run with what wire as far as systems and antenna wire go. I will also have a aft located battery, what systems can I run next to the high amp wire? does any one know of any good books that wold help me with the installation. This is one phase of the build I know nothing about. Thanks for any help and sorry for so many questions.

Start with AeorElectric Connection

site below. A wealth of knowledge and resources. Get the book on the site by Bob Nukhols (SP?) and you will be off on a great adventure in electricity.

I ended up ordering lots of times to complete the wiring on my 7A. If you can do it in one order, you are a genius.

SteinAir is a good source with lots of help. Also the usual ACS and others for smaller orders. I ran all my wires together except the strobe wires. Did what I could to keep them separate. No problems so far with 42 hours on the Hobbs.

The big battery wires can be a source of alternator noise, so I'd be guided by Bob's advice on single point grounds and such.

Rule #1. Keep all the smoke inside the wires...;)

http://www.aeroelectric.com/

I am a big fan of Bob's book to get a person up to speed on the conceptual aspects of aircraft electrical design - essential reading. you might find, however, that once you've read through it, you will still have many of the same questions you asked in your first post, which relate more to the DETAILED aspects of physically running wires. The Bingelis books are good for some of this, as is the old and venerable AC 43.13. But neither address the world of modern digital avionics and autopilots. The isn't much out there in print yet on these topics - but Stein and his folks is a great resource when it comes to "what wires for what?" questions.

Paul

I would like to get all the wire needed for the entire plane at once. Dynon 100. 120, garmen 327, 340, 250xl and sl40.
Like the other guy said, if you can get everything in one order you are an organized genius.
Can I run the wing tip lighting wire in the same conduit as the AP wire?
This should be OK because your AP control wire is shielded twisted pair. However if you want to be really safe, run the high-power stuff physically separated. Some guys drill an extra hole through the wing ribs, I like the nylon bracket method. Instead of individual wires in the photo, use a 10'-11' length of lightweight irrigation pipe or similar for conduit.
What wire can I run with what wire as far as systems and antenna wire go.
As long as your low-power wires are shielded properly, you can probably mix-and-match wires...but I strongly suggest you subscribe to the Matronics Aeroelectric list and ask specific questions there. You have good questions, keep asking and studying. Electrical is a building topic with a wide range of required knowledge, and important to do right.

Back