What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with wing ribs

husabeast

Patron
I am starting the wings on a partially built RV-8 kit. One wing is partially skinned and the other has just a little work on the spar done. My issue is the previous builder (there are two previous builders on this wing kit) did not flute the ribs. Notice the curved ribs. Does anyone see any problems if I remove the skins and flute the ribs while still attached to the front and rear spar? I've had plenty of practice removing flush head rivets after completing the empennage. Hard to understand why these ribs were not prepped because the leading edge was done flawlessly. I have started the other wing and I inspect and repair the partially completed wing as I follow Vans instructions. Any suggestions?

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0882.jpg

I'm surprised the top skins fit well enough to rivet without having fluted the ribs. With top skins on, I'd be shocked if the bottom skins would line up at all.

If you remove the skins there should be no problem fluting the ribs as they are.

At this point I would leave the already rivetted skins on.
Clamp a straight edge to each rib (clamp near each spar, not in the center), use that as a reference to flute the flange as straight as you can.
Keep building...

At this point I would leave the already rivetted skins on.
Clamp a straight edge to each rib (clamp near each spar, not in the center), use that as a reference to flute the flange as straight as you can.
Keep building...

I agree With Ralph as long as there is no visible issue with the skin shape, etc.

If there is any angle in the flange after clecoing you will get oil canning in the wing skins. Flute or bend the flanges to a 90 degree angle before riveting.

Not worth the quest for absolute perfection and structurally it's of no consequence. I'd leave it as-is and build on

Back