What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

help with tools

rwarre

Well Known Member
Also new to this forum. Have been looking at tools and need help deciding whether to buy new tools or search for used. Will be going to Oshkosh this year and thought I might get some deals. Thanks

All flavors, Randy (and welcome, btw).

I bought about 80% of my tools new. I've met many who bought 100% new and 100% used. Most, however, were a mix.

Best,
Doug

Hello,

I'm going with both. I'm also in the same boat as you. I did purchase a rivet gun(3x) new, but most of the other tools that I'm collecting either I already have or are currently searching for.

Buying used when you can makes sense. You can often find pneumatic squeezers on Ebay for half what they would cost new, for example. Clecos ought to be abundant on the used market. I guess it might come down to the question of how soon do you need a particular tool. If you are ready to start building and you haven't find the used tools you need, then you will either to buy them new, or put off starting the kit until you can find what you need. Ideally, you could find a local builder who just finished an RV project and is willing to sell what he has, and who can tell you what else you might need to acquire.

I found an RV builder on Barnstormers who sold me his unused tool kit with a pneumatic squeezer and a tool chest for a great deal. He built his tail kit at a workshop and used their tools, then decided to not continue with the plane. Check out Barnstormers - there may be a good deal close to you.

Delta BS100 Bench Bandsaw is fine. Many builders use that or a similar model. You will want a very fine toothed blade.

Back