What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help With James Aircraft Cowl

James Aircraft Cowl Builders...

Hi Guys - I purchased a James Aircraft Cowl for my RV-8 Project. I have an Angle valve, IO360 C1C6 engine.

The alternator that came with the engine simply will not fit in the cowl, period. A friend has a Plane Power 99-1012 that seems to fit but not without modifying the Plane Power bracket that lets you slide the alternator position up or down...then, finding the right size alternator belt has been a freaking nightmare...I am on number 8!

Can any of you guys who are using that cowling advise what you are using for an alternator set up?

I could really use some help. I have been working on this for weeks now and I am almost at wits end.

The attached picture is the alternator that was removed.

Attachments

• Alternator.jpeg
    Alternator.jpeg
    500.1 KB · Views: 18
And if the smaller alternator with belt doesn't work, does your setup allow you to use a 20, 30, or 40 amp geared alternatornon the vacuum pad?

And if the smaller alternator with belt doesn't work, does your setup allow you to use a 20, 30, or 40 amp geared alternator on the vacuum pad?
As always - Thanks to everyone for responses. I think I have two excellent paths to purse. @jclark I am looking at this from Monk Workz as one possible option

https://monkworkz.com/?gclid=CjwKCA...uX2W73Ll_Z_Sk7Jv5RG-ShTGkVXg5ekRoC01QQAvD_BwE

Does anyone there have any experience with this?

All of my electric combined is less than 30 amps especially with LED landing/taxi lights, nav. Dynon, etc.

Thanks again...I feel like I am back in business! (at least for now!)

Steve

Back