What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with FWD fus longeron

jtrollin

Well Known Member
So I was working through the manual and got to step 3 on page 29-9. I put everything together to match Figure 2 and then started to drill the holes and found what was a VERY big problem.

My holes in the Longeron are very close to the edge and if I keep drilling they will hit the edge on the aft most hole. I know I need to order a new longeron, but how do I fix this so it does not happen again?

longeron_issue.jpg

thanks,

John

I am away from home so don't have my plans with me. I am not sure exactly what part your picture shows. I did all this a couple of weeks ago and had no issues. I can only suggest that there is something not lined up correctly - obviously!

And now you have to bend and drill a new longeron.......:mad:

I nearly did this as well

trick is to rotate the underlying structure - in this case, the aft end of the underlying structures needs to be rotated outboard, so that the hole, in essence, moves outboard to allow for more edge distance. When you rotate, you can use cleco clamps or small C clamps to hold the longeron and the underlying structure together while match drilling from below...

This same thing has a tendency to happen with the firewall weldments - you need to tweek a little to make sure the edge distance adequate.

Phil
KSLC
RV-10 Ordering finishing kit!

Thanks!

I followed your advise today and it came out perfect and it only cost me $11 worth of aluminum and $35 worth of shipping (shipping is exaggerated I hope, I have not received the new part yet, but had a spare piece I used)
John

I nearly did this as well

trick is to rotate the underlying structure - in this case, the aft end of the underlying structures needs to be rotated outboard, so that the hole, in essence, moves outboard to allow for more edge distance. When you rotate, you can use cleco clamps or small C clamps to hold the longeron and the underlying structure together while match drilling from below...

This same thing has a tendency to happen with the firewall weldments - you need to tweek a little to make sure the edge distance adequate.

Phil
KSLC
RV-10 Ordering finishing kit!

Back