What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with determining value, Sioux valve seat grinding kit

Freemasm

Well Known Member
Hopefully this stays here (general discussion) for better visibility.

I have my friend's old Sioux Valve grinding kit. 23 stones, guides, etc. I need to determine a value other than "whatever someone is willing to pay". He was a Master Tech, Charles Taylor award winner back in 1998 (before it became political). I flew behind his "field overhaul" in my Mooney for a couple of decades.

Not too many do real cylinder work anymore. Both the target audience for this inquiry and potential sale are probably pretty small.

What questions need to be answered before I post the item? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I need to get a decent price for him as he's now in a place charging his family $375/day for his care.

Much thanks.

Some pix
29 stones. Various fixtures, reamers. The grinder motor/mechanism is strong. Any questions or ideas, please let me know. It would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_9361.jpg
    IMG_9361.jpg
    624.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9357.jpg
    IMG_9357.jpg
    650 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9358.jpg
    IMG_9358.jpg
    745.5 KB · Views: 23
What questions need to be answered before I post the item?

Does it include the fixture for dressing the stone angle? Example below, being dressed to 30 degrees.

Attachments

• IMG_1242.jpg
    IMG_1242.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1240.jpg
    IMG_1240.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 24
Does it include the fixture for dressing the stone angle? Example below, being dressed to 30 degrees.

I know that he had one (I’ve used under his supervision) and is probably still in his shop.

Unfortunately, a distant, loser nephew of their’s is staying there and things are disappearing from my friend’s shop. Would doubt the suspect idiot would take/pawn that item. Don’t ask me about the saws, portable welder, welding helmet, etc.

The grinder set is with me at his non-local kid’s request.

Any idea of value with/without the dressing tool?

As mentioned, does anyone other than shops do cylinder work anymore?

Valve kit

Without a stone dresser,the set is pretty much unusable.Same problem if you do not have the correct pilots to fit the cylinder you are working on.Or stones of suitable sizes.Several stones are needed for each size valve to cut appropriate angles and to narrow the seat widths.Pilots usually come in thousandths increments and an assortment is needed to fit the wear in the guides.If it was an automotive set,it will likely not have pilots big enough to fit aircraft usage.Look for Goodson on the web to find prices for missing pieces.

If it's important to maximize value, get control of the dressing tools. I don't know what the set is worth with all the accessories, but I suspect it's near worthless without.

What might ring the bell is a sale with the bench setup.

Attachments

• IMG_1243.jpg
    IMG_1243.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1233.jpg
    IMG_1233.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 42
Back