What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with a piece of white plastic material

NYTOM

Well Known Member
I'm freaking out here. I'm well into my build and after moving my project 700 miles and unloading dozens of boxes I found a piece of white plastic material 1/8" thick and 1" wide by 42" long. I've been scouring the plans, inventory sheets, photos and I can't figure out what it's for. Anyone? I'm praying I didn't screw up something.:eek:

Sounds like UHMW, which is used as part of the canopy assembly.

Specifically, when you pass screws through the plexi, then through the aluminum skirts, the UHMW is behind the assembly. You drill a hole in the UHMW for the screws. The UHMW acts as a "nut strip" to keep the screws from backing out.

So nice to have you guys around

Awwww thank you Kyle. Just unwrapped and put the uncut canopy on the table today and I'm just getting into that "BIG CUT" project. Starting to review other builders methods and trying a figure a way to heat things up enough to tackle this. I can sleep now. Thanks again. So afraid I'm going to miss something.

Update

Got it figured out. Decided to Silkaflex a long time ago and discarded a few items but apparently not good enough. :rolleyes: My bad :eek:

IIRC the same material was used as insulators/spacers in the old style, cockpit side large battery box.

Old school battery box as Gil states and possibly for building your own terminal strip.

Got it figured out. Decided to Silkaflex a long time ago and discarded a few items but apparently not good enough. :rolleyes: My bad :eek:

Don't throw anything away....you will end up needed it for something! :)

It's amazing how many times I've pulled a piece of twenty-year-old scrap for a project.

Back