What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HELP! Volt & amps varies ALOT....

ao.frog

Well Known Member
Hi.

I've 90 hrs on my -7 now and during the last couple of rides, I've noted that the volt and amps shown on the AFS-3500 EFIS varies beetween 14,1 and 12,8 Volt.
The amps varies beetween +2/4 and -4/6.

The variations comes and goes with irregular intervals, mostly every 10-15 minutes or so.

I've checked my Plane Power 60A alternator in a testbench and there it was 100% stable, so the fault must be elsewhere.

I have the Vans "switchboard" (the one with combined C/B's and switches) and both the Alternator and wiring are according to Vans plans.

No loose connections or wiring as far as I can see.

On Wednesday, I'll go through all the wiring, connections etc again, and also do some volt and amps measuring.

Do any of you have any idea where to start looking?
Could a faulty master relay cause this?

I realize that this is a longshot, but it'd be nice to hear in any of you have any bright ideas...

Thanks!

Try having a look

at the votage regulator. What is your shunt measuring for your amp meter? I am assuming battery charge/discharge. What happens when you turn everything on to load the alternator? How much load are you caring when it cycles?
Good luck,
Andrew

Back